20150823: Salt Water Energy Storage

20150823: Salt Water Energy Storage

Postby tahanson43206 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:42 pm

An article by Ivan Penn recently appeared in the online space. The topic is a fresh water hydraulic storage system built late last century in California, to serve as a backup for the statewide energy supplier. The storage system worked well, but it's value is now in question because of the sustained drought impacting California.

Mr. Penn reported the views of various high ranking persons who lamented the lack of fresh water to sustain this expensive and successful energy storage system.

It occurred to me that this is one of many examples of frozen thinking that seems to afflict all of us, but is REALLY obvious when the victim is in a position of great responsibility.

A friend with an engineering background has confounded me over the past year, by pointing out frozen thinking to which I have been subject in a project we are doing. I suppose the phenomenon I'm discussing is similar to tunnel vision, or perhaps the notorious "thinking inside the box".

So it is that the obvious idea of using salt water for water energy reservoirs will inevitably fail to become reality because "it has never been done that way".

For the readers of this forum, who are interested in planning for times of great difficulty, perhaps having an awareness that salt water CAN INDEED serve as the working fluid for a hydraulic energy storage system will be useful.

(th)
May every member of The Knowledge forum grow financially, intellectually, socially and beyond.
tahanson43206

Re: 20150823: Salt Water Energy Storage: Canada

Postby tahanson43206 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:45 pm

As a follow up to the idea that salt water could serve as a working fluid for energy storage, I asked Mr. Google to show me mountains next to oceans

The first citation was for the Northwest part of the North American continent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coast_Mountains

As it happens, the mountains in these locations act to wring fresh water out of the prevailing westerly winds, so (I presume) there is no lack of fresh water in these locations.

I'd be interested if another member of The Knowledge forum can find other locations with mountains next to an ocean.

Perhaps ALL such locations will have the feature that they wring fresh water out of the prevailing winds.

However, if that is the case, then (I would presume) all such locations would be candidates for hydraulic energy collection systems.

Delivery of energy collected from such remote locations would be similar to the problem of delivery of energy from windmill farms in the middle of a continent.

Edited 2015/08/23 "easterly" corrected to "westerly" per Wikipedia

(th)
May every member of The Knowledge forum grow financially, intellectually, socially and beyond.
tahanson43206

Re: 20150823: Salt Water Energy Storage

Postby Maurice Goldsmith » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:43 am

Continuing with my North Africa theme from a previous post - the Atlas Mountains of Morocco/Algeria/Tunisia could qualify.
I am the author of a post-apocalyptic novel - The Lucifer Bug http://www.theluciferbug.com/
Maurice Goldsmith

Re: 20150823: Salt Water Energy Storage

Postby germanforestgump » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:34 pm

Do i right understand You are searching for the water energy system we call "Pumpspeicher-Kraftwerk" in german?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumped-st ... lectricity

Because this sort of energy "transforming for saving" system could be "closed", which is important when using saltwater!
It has to be guaranteed that no saltwater comes out, contaminating the surrounding soil, natural rivers and groundwater aquifers!

One more expensive fact using saltwater is the need of very resistant materials because of stronger corrosion.

A useful landscape for such a project could be the Atacama Desert along the chilean westcoast.
Here there is the effect of mountains wringing out water from soaked air-masses extremely small:
Because along the chilean westcoast is a very cold maritime stream called "Humboldt-Stream", coming from the extreme cold antarctic continent to the warmer north.
The cold air masses above him are not able to contain and transport much air water.
In the moment, when they reach the hot land, they expand their capability of taking up water so much, that they would dry the land more if it would not already be the most dry site on earth.
There is only a very small stripe along high mountains, where this heated air is going colder again and condense a little fog stripe.
But this is very few water.

So this region has no sweet water to move electric power stations.
It would be possible to pump saltwater in a bassin between high mountains in a short distance to the coast,