Midwest calling

Midwest calling

Postby Bookben » Sun May 18, 2014 11:32 pm

Hi, and thanks for this neat site, Dr. Dartnell, not to mention a wonderful book. I'm a former reporter, and now teaching at a small college here. I think I became interested in this subject due to a number of reasons--for one, I grew up (as did many) under the nuclear shadow. All my family served in the military. My father, who is now 88, fought in the Pacific during World War II, Korea, Vietnam and witnessed the first hydrogen bomb explosion at Enewetak. Myself, I've covered major disasters numerous times, and reported from Sarajevo during the closing days of the Bosnian war, covered the Oklahoma City Bombing, numerous tornado disasters here in-state, was embedded with the Katrina rescue mission and covered both Afghanistan and Iraq. All this, I guess, is to say that I'm glad that Dr. Dartnell is writing about the real, important issues to rebuilding civilization. Rather than all the negatives associated with it, we have a chance to see what rebuilding would look like. Good stuff! Civilization isn't hoarding bullets, but plowing fields and stringing electrical wire. And books.
Bookben

Return to New members