Greetings from Newfoundland

Greetings from Newfoundland

Postby mgb » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:54 pm

Hey folks,

Mike here. I'm a creative and techie soul living in St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada. Reading through the book for the first time right now. I'm excited to think of the possibilities for this book; I've already tweeted about its potential as a reality series, and I'm thinking today about the amazing potential for a game that gets the player to actually go through the stages the book discusses. There's a lot to love in here! Not least, at least for me, is the simple joy of Knowledge.
mgb

Re: Greetings from Newfoundland

Postby germanforestgump » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:06 pm

Hello Mike!
Many greetings from Germany!
You are living in a very interesting place!

Did you already read the book "Collapse" from Jared Diamond?
He writes about the failure of the vikings, settling in Greenland and maybe Newfoundland, to take over the knowledge of the inuit, how to survive when climate was becoming more colder.
At least, they lossed the ability to build boats for crossig the ocean back to Island.
I think, their isolated situation was very similar to that one, the surviver of a civilisation-scratch will be found.

Later, the fish industrie was broken down because of overfishing.
The people didn´t had the knowledge, how to manage a common good sustainable, like Elinor Ostrom has described it.

Now the inuit are confronted with a climate going warmer.
Their traditional knowledge how to live by chasing fishes and robbes is no longer helpful.
They have to learn maybe breeding sheeps and potatoes?
But in some thousand years, there may be a great coldness again...how to preserve the knowledge of the old inuits today for the people in that era?
And how to preserve all the animals which would be needed as living-basis again?

So many questions...
Your Hans
germanforestgump

Return to New members