20150809 Request for Addition of Major Category

20150809 Request for Addition of Major Category

Postby tahanson43206 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:20 pm

This is for Dr. Dartnell:

Please consider adding a new section to the "Get Involved" major category.

The new section would be entitled "Knowledge Repository" or words of your choosing with a similar meaning that better matches your objectives for this forum.

The idea I have in mind would be to provide an anchor for individuals who are passionate about some area of knowledge, and who are willing to serve as a rallying point for others.

Your decision to create such a high level change in the forum environment would also help to reassure the members of this forum that you are keeping an eye on activity here, despite the demands of your professional and personal schedule.

As a side note for all:

Yesterday, at a gathering to observe operation of large Tesla coil machines (as well as numerous smaller ones), I met a retired atmosphere physicist who had made a living advising a supplier of natural gas on fluctuations they could expect over the near term, in order to plan their product availability. This gent, whose name is Matt, responded to my description of Dr. Dartnell's "The Knowledge" initiative, by saying that he owns original copies of Maxwell's development of the various theories of electromagnetism.

He also owns a 1922 edition of the Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, and he pointed out that the editors of the Handbook has been systematically ELIMINATING knowledge that the editors consider to no longer be meaningful to their modern user base. Examples of knowledge deleted are formulas for making glue.

This leads me to recognize that even the written word repositories of knowledge are perishable.

If a movement to preserve hard won knowledge develops, the participants will need an element of stubborn refusal to let specific knowledge die because it is no longer fashionable.

In the United States, (and surely elsewhere on Earth) there are people who take upon themselves the (sometimes thankless) task of preserving knowledge of such techniques as blacksmithing.

Perhaps over time, it may become "fashionable" to become an expert in some small part of the sum of knowledge, and "expected" of young people to pick a topic they will carry forward over their lives.

At present (it appears to me) we have a significant number of young people who see no purpose for living, and continue day to day on the inertia of the impulse given to them by their parents who created the energy structure they inhabit. The susceptibility of many to the Siren call of gangs (or worse) illustrates the missing sense of purpose.

(th)
May every member of The Knowledge forum grow financially, intellectually, socially and beyond.
tahanson43206

Re: 20150809 Request: Report on Mailbox limits

Postby tahanson43206 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:11 pm

This is for everyone who may be approaching the limit of 50 saved private messages.

I passed the threshold today, and it appears that the forum software simply deleted the saved messages and started over.

My status now reads:

Begin Quotation:
Folder is 2% full (1 from 50 messages stored)
End Quotation.

(th)
May every member of The Knowledge forum grow financially, intellectually, socially and beyond.
tahanson43206

Return to New members