20160208 Vision Author Culture on Knowledge Forum

Re: 20160208 Vision Author Culture on Knowledge Forum

Postby tahanson43206 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:45 pm

20170312 Massive greenhouse

Since the purpose and focus of this thread is to encourage potential authors to build their next work in Dr. Dartnell's forum, here is a topic that could (it seems to me) accumulate to the size of a book, over time.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/business ... olkRf79EJ/

This story was written by Kara Driscoll - staff Writer

I am interested in this planned expansion by Golden Fresh Farms of Canada, because it shows a way forward for supply of fresh produce for humans on Earth today and in the future, but more importantly (from my perspective) it shows the way forward for production of fresh produce on Mars or the Moon, or anywhere else human communities may set up shop away from Earth.

Artificial lighting is provided to supplement natural lighting. Of particular interest (to me at least) is the use of 90 bee hives to help with pollination.

(th)
May every member of The Knowledge forum grow financially, intellectually, socially and beyond.
tahanson43206

Postby tahanson43206 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:00 am

20170318 element from Reference #1 for focus today is Paragraph 3 on page 10.

In this paragraph, Dr. Dartnell identifies two key concepts:

Begin Quotation:
...the scientific method. The key to preserving civilization is to provide a condensed seed...
End Quotation.

While my interest is primarily in trying to see how the future might unfold as humans move away from the Earth, I am quite interested in identifying ways to preserve and convey knowledge right here and now, on Earth, in 2017.

In the past couple of weeks, Dave Z has led discussion of the idea of encapsulating concepts from “The Knowledge” and related concepts in hard plastic laminated sheets such as those from:

https://permacharts.com

as just one example. It seems to me that a collection of these charts and guides would make a very nice care package from this generation to one far in the future.

In a nod to the concept of creating an economy based upon atom assembly machinery underway elsewhere in this forum, today I'd like to discuss fabrication of a folding table from:

http://www.lifetime.com

The particular table I have is Model 28241. The web site shows model 28240, which seems identical.

https://www.lifetime.com/lifetime-28240 ... ble-almond

Let us suppose we are on Mars (or a similar location away from Earth) and our economy is based upon atom assemblers instead of the complex system of manufacture that exists on Earth in 2017.

Taking the elements of the Lifetime table #28240 as an example:

1 Top This is a large plastic component

I will estimate it would take a year to “grow” this component

If a citizen/family/business needs one of these, and a used
one is not available, then they could place an order for
delivery in a year.

2 Side metal angle iron

Two of these are needed. I will estimate a month for each

3 Clips to hold legs. Two are needed. Estimate a few days.

4 Pipe [Note that these are welded together]

It seems reasonable to suppose that welding capability
would be a “normal” and expected part of a reasonably
large community away from Earth.

a. Long pipes for legs. Four are needed. Estimate 1 month each.
b. Medium pipes for ends. Need 3. Estimate 2 weeks each.

5 Feet: Need four. Estimate 2 days each

6 Pivot Pin: Need 1 – Estimate 1 week

Note thread on one end for nut, and rounded end cap on other.

7 Locking trigger: This is a complex plastic part

This part is designed to be squeezed to lock or unlock legs
I'm going to estimate a week to fabricate this part.

8 Miscellaneous hardware: four screws and one nut.

I will estimate one machine could make these in a week.
A small job shop might be able to complete this order using only two atom assemblers. The larger would be dedicated to assembling the table top in a year, while the smaller could prepare the remaining components over the course of the year.

Welding and assembly of the undercarriage would take a few days at most.

(th)
May every member of The Knowledge forum grow financially, intellectually, socially and beyond.
tahanson43206

Previous

Return to New members