20160208 Vision Author Culture on Knowledge Forum

Re: 20160208 Vision Author Culture on Knowledge Forum

Postby tahanson43206 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:15 am

20180421 Update Knowledge Forum Knowledge Thread

As a note of possible interest to any readers who might be thinking of applying for membership in this forum:
It has been established that the Signature Line of your pending membership can be used for communication.
I do not have a way (at present) to see who has logged in recently, but I can check the status of the newest member.
If you have applied for membership in the forum, and no one else has applied after you, then you will be listed as the newest member.
It is easy for me to check the newest member status, because the newest member is listed at the bottom of the main page.
It has been established that while an applicant is waiting for approval by the administrator, I can send Private Mail.
It has been established that an applicant who receives Private Mail can reply via the Signature Line of the membership.
This is a curious way to communicate, I admit, but I am interested in hearing from applicants.

Continuing with the weekly update:

Reference #1 Page 34 Paragraph 1

Chapter: The Grace Period
Section: Shelter

In this section, Dr. Dartnell develops his theme in some detail.

The paragraph that begins: “In the situation”, reviews the importance of securing appropriate clothing as soon as possible

Because this thread is using Dr. Dartnell's book as a starting point, I note the value of planning for provision of appropriate clothing in a wide range of alternative futures. Taking relocation to Mars as an extreme example, it seems to me appropriate to try to plan ahead for machine generation of threads which would possess characteristics we humans have observed in nature, and which we have been able to create out of raw materials.

Machine generation of thread is a technology that would save Mars residents from the challenge of trying to recreate living entities which evolved on Earth, and to try to support them in artificial habitats quite different from that to be found on Mars.

In Reference #3, below, Mr. Bessen is developing the topic of Standards ...

Reference #3 Chapter 4
Title: Standard Knowledge
Section: Some Effects of Standardizing Knowledge
Pages 55-57

In this section, Mr. Bessen allocates a paragraph to each of these:
Begin Quotation:
1.The nature of training.
2.The scale of training and production
3.Geographic dispersion.
4.Intellectual property strategy
5.Labor markets.
End Quotation.

Because we are here considering a community that might exist on Mars, I am reminded again of Edward M. Lerner's vision of “InterstellarNet”.

Long before we humans may be exchanging communications between communities separated by light years, we will be exchanging communications between communities separated by light hours. Under those circumstances, and even here on Earth, standards of all kinds will facilitate efficiency of communication. In particular, standards for specification of instruction for nanoscale fabrication machines will enable individuals and groups at widely separated locations to quickly and efficiently set up production capability for newly invented arrangements of atoms and molecules for a wide variety of purposes.

(th)
May every member of The Knowledge forum grow financially, intellectually, socially and beyond.
tahanson43206

Postby tahanson43206 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:36 am

20180428 Update Knowledge Forum Knowledge Thread

As a note of possible interest to any readers who might be thinking of applying for membership in this forum:
It has been established that the Signature Line of your pending membership can be used for communication.
I do not have a way (at present) to see who has logged in recently, but I can check the status of the newest member.
If you have applied for membership in the forum, and no one else has applied after you, then you will be listed as the newest member.
It is easy for me to check the newest member status, because the newest member is listed at the bottom of the main page.
It has been established that while an applicant is waiting for approval by the administrator, I can send Private Mail to the applicant.
It has been established that an application who receives Private Mail can reply via the Signature Line of the membership.
This is a curious way to communicate, I admit, but I am interested in hearing from applicants.

Reference #1 Page 34 Paragraph 2

The paragraph that begins: “Warm clothes aside”, reviews the availability of fire making devices.

Because this thread is using Dr. Dartnell's book as a starting point, I note the value of planning for provision of chemical combustion in an emergency on Earth today, as well as away from Earth in a myriad of possible locations.

A time honored way to achieve chemical combustion is through generation of heat using friction, as Dr. Dartnell notes in this paragraph. However, I am interested in the use of hand cranked permanent magnets to develop arcs of electricity. A small internal combustion engine is often equipped with a hand starter, which generates voltage to cause ignition at a spark gap. While the devices of this type are likely to be optimized for conditions in the cylinder of a piston which is supplied with atomized gasoline mixed with oxygen from the atmosphere, it may be possible to apply the principles at work, to generate a stronger spark capable of igniting oil vapors (for example).

Reference #3 Chapter 4
Section: Disruptive Innovation
Pages 57-61

In this section, Mr. Bessen opens with a review of an innovative concept for online shopping, announced by Gerald M. Levin, chairman of Time Warner in 1994.

This concept was advanced for its time, but it did not succeed.

Mr. Bessen's summary includes:
Begin Quotation:
Gerald Levin did not lack technological imagination; his vision was bold and futuristic. Nor did he and his allies lack technical competence. But they lacked social imagination. The Internet easily surpassed their efforts because its social structure gave developers and users vast opportunities for learning by doing.
End Quotation.

And at the top of Page 61, Mr. Bessen brings the importance of standards to the discussion:
Begin Quotation:
The Internet was built on open standards: key elements of the knowledge about its hardware and plumbing were standardized, and these standards were made freely available.
End Quotation.

The word “standards” is not present in the index of “The Knowledge”. Perhaps it will appear in a second edition.
(th)
May every member of The Knowledge forum grow financially, intellectually, socially and beyond.
tahanson43206

Postby tahanson43206 » Sun May 06, 2018 11:52 pm

20180505 Update Knowledge Forum Knowledge Thread

It has been established that while an applicant is waiting for approval by the administrator, I can send Private Mail to the applicant.
It has been established that an application who receives Private Mail can reply via the Signature Line of the membership.
I would like to hear from anyone who would like to try the culture of self-directed knowledge accumulation I have tried to demonstrate.

Reference #1 Page 34 Paragraph 3

The paragraph that begins: “If you can't find”, reviews the availability of fire making devices which are a bit “less conventional”.

Because this thread is using Dr. Dartnell's book as a starting point, I note the value of planning for provision of chemical combustion in an emergency on Earth today, as well as away from Earth in a myriad of possible locations.

I like the steel wool suggestion in particular, because it reminds me of the chemistry of thermite, which is based upon aluminum as the primary fuel element. Iron oxide is a common ingredient of thermite used for welding.

Reference #3 Chapter 4
Section: Disruptive Innovation
Pages 61-65

In this section, Mr. Bessen reviews several examples of growth of standard ways of performing useful tasks, leading to growth of major industries. In this section, Mr. Bessen points out the benefit of the QWERTY typewriter keyboard layout as a benefit to women, who were able to take over tasks previously reserved for men.

Mr. Bessen's summary includes:
Begin Quotation:
The emergence of a widely accepted standard was critical to the effectiveness of the labor market for typists.
End Quotation.

(th)
tahanson43206

Postby tahanson43206 » Sun May 13, 2018 11:50 pm

20180512 Update Knowledge Forum Knowledge Thread

It has been established that an applicant who receives Private Mail can reply via the Signature Line of the membership.
I would like to hear from anyone who would like to try the culture of self-directed knowledge accumulation I have tried to demonstrate.

Reference #1 Page 35 Paragraph 2

The paragraph that begins: “The issue is not...”, reviews the options a survivor might have for locations to start fires.

Because this thread is using Dr. Dartnell's book as a starting point, I note the value of planning for provision of chemical combustion for non-emergency reasons on Earth today, as well as away from Earth in a myriad of possible locations. At the same time, the need to AVOID chemical combustion in a space habitat is well established by experience in the MIR space station, and (as I recall) in the International Space Station.

Dr. Dartnell's comment about modern homes NOT having provision for an open fire certainly matches my experience in a good sized American city. On the other hand, it appears from news reports from around the world, that open fire making is still practiced in many places.

Reference #3 Chapter 4
Section: The Life Cycle of Technical Knowledge
Pages 65-67

In this section, Mr. Bessen concludes the chapter with consideration of delays that may occur in the process of standardization.

Mr. Bessen asserts:
Begin Quotation:
In general, then, widely accepted standards might take time to develop when the costs of learning associated with the standard are substantial.
End Quotation.

He concludes the chapter with this observation:
Begin Quotation:
But life cycle delays in standardization and the long cycle of sequential innovation also explain why workers' benefits from new technology are sometimes postponed for decades.
End Quotation.

(th)
tahanson43206

Postby tahanson43206 » Sun May 20, 2018 11:11 pm

20180519 Update Knowledge Forum Knowledge Thread

Reference #1 Page 36 Paragraph 1

Section: Water

The paragraph that begins: “After shelter and protection...”, reviews the options a survivor might have for sources of water. This paragraph concentrates on already stored supplies. A recent episode of the Weather Channel in the US included discussion of lack of water when stranded in a desert. The survival expert brought in to supplement the story with the perspective of experience and knowledge showed how to use a Mylar emergency shelter “blanket” to collect a supply of falling rain water. In the episode at hand, the victim experienced rainfall, but had no way to collect the water.

Because this thread is using Dr. Dartnell's book as a starting point, I note the importance of clean water to people all over the Earth, right NOW, in the absence of more than the usual natural and man made disasters. There was an article about the local sewage plant in today's local newspaper. The article reported that the plant is under constant modification to meet present and expected demand as the population grows in this part of the US. After multiple stages of purification, from gigantic grids designed to intercept logs, to layers of fine sand, the sewage input to the plant is separated into solids and water clean enough to discharge into the local river, where it is transported downstream to the next municipal water intake.

In Reference #3, below, Mr. Bessen begins Part II, with a focus on Wages.

On page 69, Mr. Bessen defines the scope of the coming chapters:
Begin Quotation:
Chapters 5 through 7 explore the role that evolving technical knowledge plays in generating wealth for large numbers of workers and why the generation of widely shared wealth can take decades.
End Quotation.

(th)
Last edited by tahanson43206 on Tue May 29, 2018 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tahanson43206

Postby tahanson43206 » Sun May 27, 2018 11:53 pm

20180526 Update Knowledge Forum Knowledge Thread

Reference #1 Page 36 Paragraph 2

The paragraph that begins: “Water that doesn't come...”, reviews ways of preparing water for drinking or cooking. It captures the essence of the “magic” many of us humans enjoy if we live in communities with sophisticated water cleaning systems, so that we are able to draw drinking water from the tap without thought. But this privilege is not enjoyed in many parts of the world. It occurs to me, in thinking about Dr. Dartnell's scenario, that it might make sense to visit the local municipal water supply facility, to see if it can be kept in operation. At the very least, it would be a source of some of the materials Dr. Dartnell lists in this paragraph and the next, for water treatment.

However, since the need to separate water molecules from the materials suspended in it is one of the universal challenges of human kind today, let alone in the event of the kind of disaster Dr. Darnell has imagined, I would like to spend a moment considering a “universal answer” that could (presumably) be implemented on the scale of a single person, a small group, or a large one.

Consider a nanoscale machine able to identify a water molecule by its physical characteristics, such as response to illumination. If such a nanoscale machine were able to secure the identified molecule, it might be able to transport it to a location (such as the surface of the fluid) where the molecule could be released for intake to a receiving system. In nature, light impinging upon the surface of a body of water can act to deliver energy to the individual water molecules sufficient to release them from the fluid and into the atmosphere above. The effects of heating of water produce a similar result. However, in natural systems, molecules other than water are able to leave the fluid and float in the atmosphere, so that water collected cannot be guaranteed to be pure.

A nanoscale machine environment that would have the ability to guarantee that only water molecules are delivered to the output of the system would work in the atmosphere above the surface of a fluid. In that case, the water molecules would be identified, secured and transported to an output where only such molecules would be present.

Because separation of molecules of various kinds is a universal need, today and for the foreseeable future, it would be advantageous for the molecule selection system to identify other molecules and collect them if they are useful, and collect them for safe keeping if they are harmful.

Dr. Dartnell mentions heating of water as a way of killing living entities that may be present. Distillation of water is a widely recognized way of reducing the proportion of non-water molecules which may be present in a sample, and indeed, evaporation of water from the surfaces of oceans, rivers and lakes is a major source of fresh water. However, distilled or evaporated water may still contain non-water molecules which are carried along with those which start in a fluid, or which are present in the atmosphere. An “ideal” system of water separation would operate as described above, so that only molecules positively identified as water would be passed from the collection volume to the delivery volume.

A large scale implementation of this concept would be deployed across rivers and streams, to remove suspended material including soil and phosphorous leached from soil by rain.

Addendum 2018/06/05 ... A superior technique to produce pure fresh water is to consume hydrogen to make electric power. The output is water so pure that minerals needed to be added back in for human health. All the filtration is taken care of when hydrogen is separated from water. It appears that some progress toward commercial viability of a solar energy to hydrogen gas production facility is underway:
http://markets.businessinsider.com/news ... 1026535927

On page 71-72, Mr. Bessen introduces Edmund Cartwright, who began the process of invention of looms which would automate the weaving process. In Mr. Cartwright's case, his invention was intended to try to help his parishioners.

Begin Quotation:
Over the past 200 years, technologies such as the power loom have driven a dramatic increase in the wages and wealth of average workers ...
End Quotation.

Begin Quotation:
It is helpful to begin by understanding how technology boosts wages in theory.
End Quotation.

(th)
Last edited by tahanson43206 on Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tahanson43206

Postby tahanson43206 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:47 pm

20180602 Update Knowledge Forum Knowledge Thread

Reference #1 Page 37 Paragraph 1

The paragraph that begins: “The first option...”, reviews addition of substances to filtered water to destroy living creatures which passed the filter process.

Begin Quotation:
Just a few drops of a 5 percent liquid bleach that has sodium hypochlorite listed as the main active ingredient will disinfect a whole liter of water in an hour.
End Quotation.

While I am grateful to know that addition of chemicals to a sample of water can kill living creatures that are present, the idea of ADDING chemicals to a solution of water goes against my sense of what would be preferable. The preferred solution for an emergency such as the one Dr. Dartell has imagined, or in a non-emergency such as a camping trip in any part of the world today, or in the existing state of affairs for a vast population on Earth which does NOT have access to a clean supply of treated water from a municipal system, would remove ALL molecules from a sample of water.

There is promising research that points towards this possibility. Two possibilities that I'd like to highlight in this discussion are carbon graphene filters and the use of specially formulated molecules which can capture water from air and release it later.

For graphene filters and discussion of extracting water molecules from air, we have:

https://www.ft.com/content/d768030e-d8e ... efdb70e12f
“Graphene filters change the economics of clean water”

And …
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-39482342
“Graphene-based sieve turns seawater into drinking water”

For discussion of “metal-organic frameworks (MOFs)” we have:

2018/06/02 Notes for Weekly Update to Knowledge Thread

Water extracted from air using powder

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/04/ ... desert-air

This 2017 report covers promising results using Zirconium

Aluminum is proposed as an alternative metal for the purpose.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/06/08/this- ... esert-air/

It appears that work is progressing on use of aluminum.

Begin Quotation:
With the new powder and a handful of boxes, a person’s drinking needs are met without using any power or consumable material. Add a mechanism that harvests and stores the water and you’ve got yourself an off-grid potable water solution.
“There is nothing like this,” Yaghi explained in a Berkeley news release. “It operates at ambient temperature with ambient sunlight, and with no additional energy input you can collect water in the desert. The aluminum MOF is making this practical for water production, because it is cheap.”
He says there are already commercial products in development. More tests, with mechanical improvements and including the new MOF, are planned for the hottest months of the summer.
End Quotation.

In pages 73-76, Mr. Bessen introduces a discussion: “Why Did Wages Grow in the Past?”

Begin Quotation:
Wages were able to grow so much because output per worker grew strongly as well.
End Quotation.

An insight that just came to me is that output per worker would NOT have increased uniformly, so that the statement quoted above would mean that output from SOME workers must have increased dramatically, while that of most workers increased only modestly or not at all. Output for teachers, nurses, law enforcement personnel and military personnel are likely to have remained fairly stable, while output for some occupations must have increased significantly as new technology was adopted and improved with practice.

Begin Quotation from page 76:
In other words, the economy is generating growing output per person, but that output has not been going into the pockets of ordinary workers in recent decades.
End Quotation.

In next week's discussion, Mr. Bessel considers “Worker's Share”

(th)
Last edited by tahanson43206 on Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tahanson43206

Postby tahanson43206 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:34 pm

20180609 Update Knowledge Forum Knowledge Thread

Reference #1 Page 37 Paragraph 1

The paragraph that begins: “Products used...”, reviews addition of sodium hypochlorite scavenged from stores for swimming pools, and forecasts a later instruction on how to make the substance “from scratch”.

Begin Quotation:
...(but again, be careful it doesn't contain any antifungal agents or clarifier additives).
End Quotation.

While I am grateful to know that addition of chemicals to a sample of water can kill living creatures that are present, the idea of ADDING chemicals to a solution of water goes against my sense of what would be preferable. The preferred solution for an emergency such as the one Dr. Dartell has imagined, or in a non-emergency such as a camping trip in any part of the world today, or in the existing state of affairs for a vast population on Earth which does NOT have access to a clean supply of treated water from a municipal system, would remove ALL molecules which are NOT water from a sample of water taken from nature.

Such technology would find immediate application around the world. On a larger scale, it could be applied to the challenge of cleaning up turbid rivers entering into fresh water lakes. The non-water material itself can become a valuable “product” on its own, because it frequently includes valuable molecules removed from soil upstream by falling rain.

In pages 76-80, Mr. Bessen follows the theme with “Workers' Share”

Begin Quotation from page 77:
The employee share of income fell during the Industrial Revolution but trended upward from about 1850 to 1980 before reversing.(14)
End Quotation.

Mr. Bessen provides a graph showing two groups of workers … all workers, and workers without the top one percent of high earners.

Begin Quotation from page 80:
Yet economics does have a good micro-level explanation for why some workers earn more than others. This explanation concerns human capital, the investment people make in skills and knowledge.
End Quotation.

In next week's discussion, Mr. Bessel considers “The Paradox of Technical Knowledge”

In a future Solar System economy, it is likely that Edward M. Lerner's vision of an economy of information exchange (his “InterstellarNet”) will develop as a consequence of the difference in cost of sending matter between remote locations, and of sending information.

It is possible to imagine implementation of the very same principle on Earth … With the exception of certain raw materials which are not distributed equally around the globe, it should be possible to eliminate the exchange of physical products, and to develop the use of information exchange. On Earth, information exchange between communities can be facilitated by movement of people.

(th)
tahanson43206

Postby tahanson43206 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:39 pm

20180616 Update Knowledge Forum Knowledge Thread

Reference #1 Page 37 Paragraph 3

The paragraph that begins: “Plastic bottles...”, reviews use of ultraviolet sunlight to kill microorganisms,

Begin Quotation:
The ultraviolet component of the Sun's rays is very damaging to microorganisms, ...
End Quotation.

While I am grateful to know that applying UV to a sample of water can kill living creatures that are present, the idea of leaving dead microorganisms in a solution of water goes against my sense of what would be preferable. The preferred solution for an emergency such as the one Dr. Dartell has imagined, or in a non-emergency such as a camping trip in any part of the world today, or in the existing state of affairs for a vast population on Earth which does NOT have access to a clean supply of treated water from a municipal system, would remove ALL molecules which are NOT water from a sample of water taken from nature.

This posting is for June 16th. In the past week, two articles about current and ongoing research with water have come to my attention, and I am now more aware than before, of the need to insure a sample of pure water contains a number of benign chemicals with which humans and animals have evolved.

The first source was an article with a first hand description of a reporter's visit to a Canadian neutrino detection facility. The water inside the detector is so pure that (according to the reporter) it dissolved a wrench that fell into the water, and it leached chemicals out of the reporter's hair, so that the scalp itched afterward, and the reporter had to apply remedial conditioners to the hair. The description of the effect of pure water on an iron wrench makes sense, because I recall reading about a medieval potion made of water in which swords had been allowed to rust.

The second source was a set of articles about the need to add chemicals to ultra pure water to create a drinkable liquid for human or animal consumption. It turned out that NASA has done research in this area, for the purpose of supplying water to astronauts in the International Space Station. While the main source of potable water in the station comes from previously used water, a portion comes from fuel cell systems in situations where they are used for power.

It occurs to me that submarine engineers must have similar concerns, when sea water is distilled to fresh water.

Technology to purify water would find immediate application around the world. On a larger scale, it could be applied to the challenge of cleaning up turbid rivers entering into fresh water lakes. The non-water material itself can become a valuable “product” on its own, because it frequently includes valuable molecules removed from soil upstream by falling rain. However, if such water is intended to be used for human or animal consumption, or (by extension), for delivery to plants, then the chemicals dissolved in rain water during natural processes on Earth need to be provided.

In pages 80=83, Mr. Bessen follows the theme with “The Paradox of Technical Knowledge”

Begin Quotation from page 80
Question: How do workers benefit from inventions that can be easily replicated around the world?

Answer: By having related knowledge and skills that cannot be easily replicated.
End Quotation.

Mr. Bessen considers the role of unions …

Begin Quotation:
...technical knowledge is the key, both with and without unions.
End Quotation.

In next week's discussion, Mr. Bessel opens Chapter 6: “Who the Weavers Got Good Wages”

In a future Solar System economy, it is likely that Edward M. Lerner's vision of an economy of information exchange (his “InterstellarNet”) will develop as a consequence of the difference in cost of sending matter between remote locations, and of sending information.

It is possible to imagine implementation of the very same principle on Earth … With the exception of certain raw materials which are not distributed equally around the globe, it should be possible to eliminate the exchange of physical products, and to develop the use of information exchange. On Earth, information exchange between communities can be facilitated by movement of people.

The current and ongoing disruption of international trade, driven by the unique personality of the current President of the United States, is certainly going to provide input for future books on economics and history. However, it is quite likely to result in surprising adaptations by various nations. Current news commentary reports that some nations are actively considering measures against the business interests of the current President of the United States.

(th)
Last edited by tahanson43206 on Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tahanson43206

Postby tahanson43206 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:53 pm

20180623 Update Knowledge Forum Knowledge Thread

Reference #1 Page 38 Paragraph 1

The paragraph that begins: “However, glass and...”, cautions to be aware that some materials block ultraviolet sunlight to kill microorganisms,

I've decided to pause movement through “The Knowledge” at this point, to spend some time considering the problem of securing potable water which meets the biochemical needs of human beings, animals and plants. These entities have evolved over millennia to depend upon the solutions produced by seeping rain water through soil and rock formations, or passing rain water or snow melt through rivers and streams lined with rocks from which the moving water removes useful and beneficial molecules.

Most drinking water prepared in 2018 (as nearly as I can tell) takes surface water as input, although a few municipal water supplies draw ground water where it is available. Water treatment follows the general pattern laid out by Dr. Dartnell, which is directed toward removing harmful substances when that can be done, and rendering harmless those which cannot be removed. My interest is in discovering how pure water can be enhanced to meet the needs of humans and other creatures which have evolved to depend upon the mixtures delivered by natural springs, in particular. As Hydrogen increasingly becomes an energy carrier of choice for advanced societies, pure water will become available in proportion to its use.

Happily, there are a number of resources available to study for guidance in preparing health giving and sustaining potable water.

A Google search for “chemical analysis of natural spring water” produced 38,600,000 results, of which the first citations seem clearly related to the search.

The top listed citation is: https://www.eldoradosprings.com/eldorad ... l-analysis

Begin Quotation:
Eldorado water is always naturally alkaline — approximately 7.1 pH. Mother Nature created the perfect recipe which includes naturally occurring minerals and electrolytes.
End Quotation.

I note that the analysis shows None Detected for Zinc, which I have found listed elsewhere as needed for good health in trace amounts.

This posting is for June 23th.

In pages 84-88, Mr. Bessen opens Chapter 6: “How the Weavers Got Good Wages”

In these pages, Mr. Bessen recounts UNSUCCESSFUL labor actions, inspired by employer reduction of wages or employer increase of charges for room and board.

Begin Quotation:
...labor activity did not succeed in raising weaver's wages; the remained stagnant at a time when productivity was growing rapidly, …
End Quotation.

Begin Quotation:
This pattern ended after the Civil War, when weaver's pay grew rapidly...
End Quotation.

In the next section, Mr. Bessen discusses “Engels' Pause”

(th)
tahanson43206

PreviousNext

Return to New members