Beyond Occupy

Beyond Occupy

Postby theglobalspring » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:09 pm

I read your article in the New York Times about "Civilization's Starter Kit," and I wanted to send you an article I wrote that talks about some of these same ideas but from a political economic perspective.

I am an American lawyer and mediator with an expertise in global conflict prevention and resolution, at UC Berkeley in California.

I am interested in human well-being, and I wrote an article called "Beyond Occupy" with some ideas about how to decentralize wealth - or capital asset ownership. One element of this is for people to manufacture basic goods regionally or locally, in worker-owned businesses. When I read your article about how far removed people have become from how basic things work, I wanted to run my ideas by you.

You can see my article on my blog, theglobalspring.org - it is the second article on the blog.

Congratulations on all your success, I find your work very interesting.
theglobalspring

Re: Beyond Occupy

Postby BillF » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:45 pm

In regards to..."One element of this is for people to manufacture basic goods regionally or locally, in worker-owned businesses." I recommend Dr. Dickson Despommier's book Vertical Farming. He encourages the localizing of farming, assumably to get it out of the hands of corporate ag. De-centralizing is something I wholly agree with and applaud your remarks. My post Malthus' Zombies tags onto this thinking. To decentralize farming and create jobs localized thereon is a first line of defense against over-population. People on top of people don't or won't necessarily need "service" positions. Positions that serve, however, will be not only critical, but perhaps, even wholesome!
BillF

Return to What might collapse civilisation?