Don't Forget Tech

Don't Forget Tech

Postby caliak » Thu May 22, 2014 3:52 am

I am not saying discard books. They are obviously the easiest way to store and transmit info, but tablets and smartphones might be overlooked. They store huge amounts of data, can take pictures/videos, voice records not to mention a clocks, timers, calculators etc. They are a modern "electronic swiss army knife". On a per unit basis with a solar charger they could help safeguard info.

Don't rely on tech, but if you have it... why not use it as a parachute to help slow down they fall while you rebuild from the ground up.
caliak

Re: Don't Forget Tech

Postby Sheepdog » Sun May 25, 2014 3:02 am

It's why I love my iPad! I have literally hundreds of books on there, as well as a few useful apps that can help out once the balloon goes up. I'd like to get some GoalZero solar equipment soon so I can have a relatively solid way to keep it charged (or build myself a wood gas generator! lol).
Sheepdog

Postby lewis » Tue May 27, 2014 5:32 pm

What apps have you got on your iPad, Sheepdog? What would you recommend..?
lewis
Site Admin

Postby Sheepdog » Wed May 28, 2014 3:51 pm

Well, iBooks of course, because knowledge is power is survival. I also like the app called Educreations, which is like a smart board of sorts (there are many lessons on there already, with a few that'd be useful for a survival/rebuilding role). There are loads of different amateur radio apps that can be had that I haven't yet delved into (not until I get my HAM radio license), but there is one called RepeaterBook that shows what repeaters are near you. Star Walk is also great for astrology stuff (which will become important once again).

There are a whole host of math/science/tech stuff also. There is one called ElecToolKit for electrical stuff, Units Plus for unit conversion (which, if you're like me, you need since you can hardly ever remember the conversion math for some things). And just a regular calculator is also great. The Maps and Google Earth apps are cool also, and you can take screen shots of certain areas so you'll have a "hard" copy of them. Encyclopaedia Britannica is rather useful also.

That's a few of the apps that I have. It'd be neat to have a post-apocalypse how-to app that teaches you step by step how to make and do things that'll help you survive thrive and rebuild. You may want to think about looking into that Lewis! Cheers!
Sheepdog

Postby caliak » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:02 am

Are there basic apps for survival such as simplified navigation? Field medicine? Carpentry, Plumbing? Electrical etc.?
caliak

Postby caliak » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:38 pm

Just saw this at "The Long Now Foundation" and thought it was interesting:

http://blog.longnow.org/category/manual-for-civilization/
caliak

Postby nobodyouwantoknow » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:19 am

This is a general response to the topic, How best to preserve knowledge.

I have done it thus since 2000 :

rexresearch[dot]com , "The Civilization Kit"

You owe it to yourself to check it out.

In particular, I recommend learning everything you can about air wells and electroculture, which are treated thoroughly on the site. Then you can stay hydrated and fed while applying the thousand other promising techs that have been suppressed or which are still emerging.

Personally, I simply do without most amenities, and I do not miss them at all. And, I have made peace with myself and nature ( which loves me, for other particular reasons ), and I am a welcome friend in many places. Though I would like to elaborate, enough said for now/written for now...

Good luck to you all...
nobodyouwantoknow

Return to How best to preserve vital knowledge?