Indigenous knowledge

Indigenous knowledge

Postby SalishSeaSam » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:07 pm

This is a very Eurocentric discussion and book. I don't know about you, but living here on the West Coast of North America, when the cataclysm arrives, I'm going to run to the nearest Coast Salish person, preferably a wise elder. They have survived invasion, disease, the residential school experience and other calamities.

For most of their thousands of years here, they've developed appropriate technologies such as clam gardens, camas beds and fish weirs to sustainably harvest food. Additionally, the cedar and other trees and shrubs can provide clothing, implements and even transport.

That's why the T.S. Eliot quote at the top of Page 275 is so apropos.
SalishSeaSam

Re: Indigenous knowledge

Postby lewis » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:40 am

Of course, no one book could ever cover in enough detail the local conditions, botany, natural resources, and so on, for all regions around the world. For The Knowledge I tried to provide enough condensed information that would be useful for rebuilding a civilisation no matter where you find yourself, rather than supplying esoteric or location-specific information that would be useless to most readers of the book.
lewis
Site Admin

Re: Indigenous knowledge

Postby Strongbow » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:22 am

SalishSeaSam wrote:This is a very Eurocentric discussion and book. I don't know about you, but living here on the West Coast of North America, when the cataclysm arrives, I'm going to run to the nearest Coast Salish person, preferably a wise elder. They have survived invasion, disease, the residential school experience and other calamities.

For most of their thousands of years here, they've developed appropriate technologies such as clam gardens, camas beds and fish weirs to sustainably harvest food. Additionally, the cedar and other trees and shrubs can provide clothing, implements and even transport.

That's why the T.S. Eliot quote at the top of Page 275 is so apropos.

I take it from this that would be someone you know already? My only thoughts would be that what if they didn't want to help, which could be the case to a stranger?
Strongbow

Return to How best to preserve vital knowledge?