20150808 Human Expertise Repositories

20150808 Human Expertise Repositories

Postby tahanson43206 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:58 pm

A while back, germanforestgump commented upon in vivo and in vitro repositories of knowledge.

This forum (could) become a repository of links to both.

The biological sciences application of these terms differs slightly from the concept offered here.

An alternative wording might be: "living" repositories (ie "experts") vs "stored" repositories (ie, books, online, carved stones)

Today, I'm planning to attend a presentation of Tesla coil technology by Roger Smith, of Ohio.

Google; roger smith tesla ohio

If the opportunity arises, I'll ask Roger if he would be willing to be identified as a "repository of knowledge" about Tesla coils.

If he agrees to the idea, I'll ask if he would be willing to join the Knowledge forum in the role of "expert on Tesla coils".

It is entirely possible that Mr. Smith may decline this "opportunity".

However, perhaps this posting will inspire others who chance upon this forum to consider the idea of finding living repositories of knowledge.

(th)
May every member of The Knowledge forum grow financially, intellectually, socially and beyond.
tahanson43206

Re: 20150808 Human Expertise Repositories

Postby germanforestgump » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:25 am

Hi, Tom, interesting idea!
Do You mean this as an intention to evolve something like a "scientific advisory board"?
I don´t know the common expression in english; in german we call it "wissenschaftlicher Beirat".

It may be useful to look how other groups manage to motivate busy scientists to invest some of their short time into a benefit project.

One important motiv may be, that the scientist can have the realistic expect that his engagement for the Knowledge Project will have a bigger impact on the future of mankind and on his personal renommee than any alternative sort of time-waste ;-)

But how to convince other scientists if even the founder of this project seems to be not any longer interested?

deep in thoughts, Hans
germanforestgump

Postby tahanson43206 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:55 pm

In conversation with germanforestgump ...

Thank you for considering this concept! And thanks for asking for a clarification of the idea and how it would work.

Every human being could become a custodian and care taker for a segment of the "universe" of knowledge that interests them.

The advantage of this approach is that we eliminate a requirement that the custodian must have a social status such as "scientist".

The goal here would be to find something that EVERY person can contribute to the positive future of the human race.

It is possible I met such a person at the Tesla Demonstration yesterday. While Roger Smith himself may not have the time or energy to undertake an effort to consolidate knowledge of how to create and safely operate Tesla coil equipment beyond what he has already achieved, a gent named William Fox seems to have both. Mr. Fox is 64, and still full of energy and good humor. He brought a number of small demonstration Tesla coils and showed them to the audience. He lamented that in the quirky state of American education at the present time, he no longer received invitations to demonstrate his equipment for elementary schools.

I will attempt to persuade Mr. Fox to consider extending his existing considerable collection of Tesla information and artifacts to "The Knowledge" movement.

Thanks again for extending the exploration of this idea!

(th)
May every member of The Knowledge forum grow financially, intellectually, socially and beyond.
tahanson43206

Postby germanforestgump » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:43 pm

Many thanks for the approach about unstudied custodians!
Unfortunately, i could not study argrobiology because of my math-handycap.
So, i only have to bring in my unsystematic collection of dilettantic life-experience.

For example about milking cows, working in the garden, breeding seeds and sheeps,
stay awake whole nights reading big boxes full of books and so on...
germanforestgump

Postby tahanson43206 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:00 pm

In further reply to germanforestgump ...

First, please note the ** excellent ** news that Dr. Dartnell is indeed still keeping an eye on this forum! The arrival of a message from Keithd21 signals that an administrator has approved Keithd21's request to post.

My guess is that if the membership wants to see Dr. Dartnell on this forum, a pathway to achieve that is to help to create a flow of positive energy.

Hans ... I've been thinking about your mention of having knowledge of family farming, including the skill of milking, which includes animal husbandry, product management and a myriad of other skills that you have won over the years, but which (I suspect) you take for granted.

In proposing that EVERY person has the potential to become a repository of knowledge and skill, I recognize the wide range of capability demonstrated over the eons.

We celebrate Nobel prize winners because they are so rare. Tesla enthusiasts in the United States (and surely around the globe) celebrate the unusual genius of Nikola Tesla.

However, the vast majority of us master "ordinary" skills which we take for granted, but which robotics engineers find challenging to emulate.

It may seem unhelpful to identify all the humans who can tie their shoes, even though no robot has accomplished that feat (that I know of).

The commercial world provides an "index" of skills. In recent days, I've found the limits of my ability to repair an appliance, and so I've consulted Mr. Google to find local repositories of knowledge and skill in diagnosing problems with appliances. I would take this opportunity to point out that both knowledge and skill have economic value.

Thus, a first cut at creating an index of useful knowledge available in the world of 2015 is to examine the commercial offerings by individuals and companies.

Many of us create Resumes, or Curriculum Vitae, and these (usually) contain snapshot summary statements of bodies of knowledge and skill we have accumulated.

However, I now offer for consideration the sad fact that there is an arc of capability for any human, starting with apprentice or novice level, peaking, and then declining with age and disuse.

A challenge for this forum then, is to find a way to enable identification of specific persons with specific knowledge or skill (and related resources such as books), and THEN to be able to follow the natural arc of capability.

A possible benefit of the existence of such an index (could be) an opportunity for persons with similar skills or knowledge to form a connection.

At present, I am unaware of any mechanism along this line.

Publication of papers by researchers is certainly a model for what is possible.

Posting of articles on the Internet has also proven to be a way to share knowledge or insight.

Whatever is done needs to have a economic benefit, starting with increased sales of "The Knowledge".

After all, the sponsor of this forum IS an author, and it is appropriate for this forum to encourage potential readers to investigate the book that started the forum, as well as related offerings.

(th)
tahanson43206

Return to How best to preserve vital knowledge?