Seeking a Friend for the End of the World

Postby Dave Z » Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:06 am

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1307068/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

An apocalyptic romantic comedy with no 'post' involved. But it does, somehow, address the question with whom do you want to face the end of the world? Reminiscent of the following (gender reversible, of course):

There are two questions a man must ask himself:

The first is ‘Where am I going?’
and the second is
‘Who will go with me?’

If you ever get these questions in the wrong order you are in trouble.

— Sam Keen

This is a real question for any of us who DO hope the world merely changes (doesn't end). Do you want to be with someone who will benefit you? Increase your chances of survival? Have your back? Yeah, sure. That would be great. But would none of that matter if that person were not the one you love?

This is no idle question among my prepper acquaintances. Many are that half-of-a-couple who entertains the possibility of collapse. They have plans for every contingency. But their beloved is not on-board; indulgent or even opposed to the 'waste' of time, money and energies flowing into preparation. It seems to me that these couples will have a lot to sort out in a short time, come doomsday.

I'm lucky... my partner and I are of a mind in both the present and for the future. But were that not the case, I know where my life and loyalty would lie no matter the cost.

So while the movie doesn't address survival considerations, per se, it raises an important question.

Dave Z
Dave Z

Return to Best post-apoc films?