The Politicaly Incorrect way to reboot

The Politicaly Incorrect way to reboot

Postby Saber Bob » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:48 pm

Have decent nuclear power plants availible that can survive the crash. That will VASTLY jumpstart the rebuild of technological civilization and could very well help PREVENT a crash due to fossil fuel global climate change.

I was reminded of this idea with another thread's reference to Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle.

That book was written with the survivability of generation 2 plants of the 1970s.

Current technology is even better, in 3rd & 4th generation plants (Light lithium breeders). REALLY hard to melt down (shut off the power, they just shut down. Shut down the coolant and they just shut down. They also, because they recycle thier own fuel, create much less waste than the older models)

See the documentary Pandora's Paradox with some hard core enviromentalists (including Stewart Brand!) who have become pro-nuclear
Saber Bob

Re: The Politicaly Incorrect way to reboot

Postby Strongbow » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:51 pm

I enjoyed Lucifer's Hammer too. I thought about this too, but I have taken it that these wouldn't exist either, for the purposes of discussion. I suppose you could always plan to build one from scratch though... :ugeek: But It would drastically speed up the re-establishment of a civilisation though.
Strongbow

Return to How quickly could you accelerate a reboot of civilisation?