20160920 Magellan Space City Designer Planet Simulation

Re: 20160920 Magellan Space City Designer Planet Simulation

Postby tahanson43206 » Sun May 13, 2018 11:51 pm

20180512 Magellan Thread

As a note of possible interest to any readers who might be thinking of applying for membership in this forum:
It has been established that the Signature Line of your pending membership can be used for communication.
I do not have a way (at present) to see who has logged in recently, but I can check the status of the newest member.
If you have applied for membership in the forum, and no one else has applied after you, then you will be listed as the newest member.
It is easy for me to check the newest member status, because the newest member is listed at the bottom of the main page.
It has been established that while an applicant is waiting for approval by the administrator, I can send Private Mail to the applicant.
It has been established that an applicant who receives Private Mail can reply via the Signature Line of the membership.
This is a curious way to communicate, I admit, but I am interested in hearing from applicants.
I would like to hear from anyone who would like to try the culture of self-directed knowledge accumulation I have tried to demonstrate.

Continuing with weekly update …

497 years ago, on this day Ferdinand Magellan is deceased. A massacre of officers and crew further reduced the complement of the expedition to 107. Only two ships remain of the original five.

Per Reference #1 on page lxii, for June 21st:
Begin Quotation:
21 June 1521: Victoria and Trinidad depart Palawan. They arrived at Brunei on the north-eastern coast of Borneo on 9 July.
End Quotation.

The quotation above is from the record given by Antonio Pigafetta, as summarized in the “Chronology of the Voyage”

Because this thread is following the expedition in “real time” (displaced by 497 years) it is my intention to continue following the crew as they struggled in the weeks and months ahead to secure the prize of spices for which they had sailed, and to return to Spain.

From Page 63 of Reference #1:
From words of Antonio Pigafetta:
Begin Quotation:
[106] At a distance of eighteen leagues from that island of Cebu, at the head of the other island called Bohol, we burned in the midst of that archipelago the ship Concepcion, for too few of us remained to man it, and we supplied the two other ships with best of its contents.
End Quotation.

Changing from the past to the future:
Given the need for human beings of the current age to enjoy a standard Earth gravity for well-being, and freedom from radiation that exceeds that found at sea level on Earth, there have been a number of ideas developed in greater or lesser detail to provide habitat suitable for deployment in vacuum. One of the guests on the Space Show was John B. Barber, who holds a patent for a system for magnetic suspension of vehicles for warehouse applications. It is possible to hear a recording of the interview by visiting www.thespaceshow.com and searching for Mr. Barber.

Broadcast 381 (Special Edition) | Sunday 04 Sep 2005
Broadcast 128 (Special Edition) | Saturday 21 Jun 2003

Google search: patents john b barber magnetic levitation

1) US5825105A - Magnetic levitation and systems for the support and ...
https://www.google.com/patents/US5825105
Inventor: John B. Barber: Duane B. Barber; Current Assignee ... Magnetic levitation has long been considered useful in the support of payloads by relying on …
5) About Us - MagneGlide
www.magsupport.com/about-us
... a passive magnetic support (levitation) technology, developed and patented by Modern Transport Systems Corp. founder and President John Barber. The first ...

http://www.magsupport.com/ << This web site is still active as of 2018/05/12 The sites shows large sliding doors which move more freely than conventional ones.

I am intrigued by the possibility of combining elements of the Stanford Torus with elements of Dr. O'Neill's cylindrical space habitat designs, and using Mr. Barber's magnetic suspension method to provide a friction-free runway for living quarters moving inside a torus made of asteroid material. If such a habitat were constructed in the rings of Saturn, for example, there would be plenty of raw material available with which to assemble the radiation shield around the passage for moving vehicles.

In the present day, Elon Musk is encouraging development of a transportation network that would include vehicles traveling inside partially evacuated tubes. This idea reminds me of Dr. Gerard O'Neill's vision of something similar, which he imagined might be built to provide high speed transportation between cities.

In the case of the habitat to provide radiation shielding and a standard gravity for human occupants, vehicles would travel inside a torus made of odds and ends of material collected from the vicinity. The radiation blocking material would be under no stress other than microgravity, so it would be contained by nets or lines where practical. Meanwhile, the tube within which the habitat carriages would run would be constructed to withstand the stress of the weight of the moving carriages.

This concept could be applied on the surface of the Moon or Mars, or on smaller moons such as Phobos.

(th)
May every member of The Knowledge forum grow financially, intellectually, socially and beyond.
tahanson43206

Postby tahanson43206 » Sun May 20, 2018 11:10 pm

20180519 Magellan Thread

As a note of possible interest to any readers who might be thinking of applying for membership in this forum:
It has been established that the Signature Line of your pending membership can be used for communication.
I do not have a way (at present) to see who has logged in recently, but I can check the status of the newest member.
If you have applied for membership in the forum, and no one else has applied after you, then you will be listed as the newest member.
It is easy for me to check the newest member status, because the newest member is listed at the bottom of the main page.
It has been established that while an applicant is waiting for approval by the administrator, I can send Private Mail to the applicant.
It has been established that an applicant who receives Private Mail can reply via the Signature Line of the membership.
This is a curious way to communicate, I admit, but I am interested in hearing from applicants.
I would like to hear from anyone who would like to try the culture of self-directed knowledge accumulation I have tried to demonstrate.

497 years ago, on this day Ferdinand Magellan is deceased. A massacre of officers and crew further reduced the complement of the expedition to 107. Only two ships remain of the original five. This post is for May 19th.

Begin Quotation:
21 June 1521: Victoria and Trinidad depart Palawan. They arrived at Brunei on the north-eastern coast of Borneo on 9 July.
End Quotation.

The quotation above is from the record given by Antonio Pigafetta, as summarized in the “Chronology of the Voyage”

Because this thread is following the expedition in “real time” (displaced by 497 years) it is my intention to continue following the crew as they struggled in the weeks and months ahead to secure the prize of spices for which they had sailed, and to return to Spain.

From Page 65 of Reference #1:
Begin Quotation:
...and it is fifty leagues from Cebu, and it is called Kipit [Note 245: or Quipit, located on the northeast coase of Mindanao, east of Sindangan Bay, on the north coast of the Zamboanga Peninsula.
End Quotation.

A Chart of an island appears in the vicinity of the quotation above: [Chart of Caghaiam (Cagayana(VIII))]

Per Reference #12 on page 6:
Begin Quotation from Prologue:
We need an insurance policy, Sagan told me. He concluded that we should become a “two planet species.” In other words, we need a backup plan.

In this book, we will explore the history, the challenges, and the possible solutions that lie before us.
End Quotation

(th)
Last edited by tahanson43206 on Wed May 30, 2018 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May every member of The Knowledge forum grow financially, intellectually, socially and beyond.
tahanson43206

Postby tahanson43206 » Sun May 27, 2018 11:52 pm

20180526 Magellan Thread

497 years ago, on this day Ferdinand Magellan is deceased. A massacre of officers and crew further reduced the complement of the expedition to 107. Only two ships remain of the original five. This post is for May 26th.

Begin Quotation:
End Quotation.

Begin Quotation:
[111] About twenty-five leagues west-north-west of the above island we found a large island, … and is called Palawan [772](250)
End Quotation.

Note 250 appears on page 163 of Reference #1:
Begin Quotation:
Palawan, the most westerly of the Philippines … 9 degrees 30 minutes North and 118 minutes and 30 degrees longitude.
End Quotation.

A Chart of the island appears on page 67 of Reference #1.

Per Reference #12 on page 12:
Begin Quotation from Introduction Toward a Multiplanet Species:
In this book, I will investigate the steps necessary to accomplish this ambitious goal. But the key to discovering how our future may unfold is to understand the science behind all of these miraculous developments.
End Quotation

Google Earth Views:
Starting display: Phillipine Islands
Second display: Palawan, Philippines shows a long, slim island on the West side of the Philippines, and North of Borneo.
Brunei is Southwest of Palawan.

(th)
Last edited by tahanson43206 on Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tahanson43206

Postby tahanson43206 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:46 pm

20180602 Magellan Thread

497 years ago, on this day Ferdinand Magellan is deceased. A massacre of officers and crew further reduced the complement of the expedition to 107. Only two ships remain of the original five. This post is for June 2nd. The remaining crew (apparently) remains motivated to find spices and return to Spain, but they are lost in every sense of the word. They are near the Philippines island of Palawan, but have no idea where the spice islands may be.

As the reference below shows, Antonio Pigafetta's narrative of the voyage records departure from Palawan on June 21st.

Begin Quotation:
End Quotation.

Begin Quotation:
[111] About twenty-five leagues west-north-west of the above island we found a large island, … and is called Palawan [772](250)
End Quotation.

Begin Quotation:
Palawan, the most westerly of the Philippines … 9 degrees 30 minutes North and 118 minutes and 30 degrees longitude.
End Quotation.

Note 252 on page 164 of Reference #1 supplements Pigafetta's narrative:
Begin Quotation:
After coasting along Palawan, they left its southern point on 21 June 1521. They passed through the Balabac Strait, between the islands of Balabac and Banggi, and south-west along the coast of Borneo to Brunei in Latitude 5 Degrees North.
End Quotation.

Per Reference #12 on page 13:
Begin Quotation from Revolutionary Waves of Technology:
In this book, I will describe the technologies that will take us even farther as we explore the planets and stars.
End Quotation

Google Earth shows Palawan Island entire at an altitude of about 200 kilometers. By descending to about 150 kilometers, it is possible to see Balabac Island to the North, the Balabac Strait, and Banggi Island.

Google Earth visitors have provided a number of views of Palawan Island.

To the North, David Romanowski provided a sunset view entitled “Twin Beach”
In the same general latitude, Erlitha Alcantara provided a view entitled “Erlittop Garden”
Moving South, Tristian Comia provided an image of a boat full of adventurers in a view entitled “Big Lagoon”
Further South, Joenih Leyba provided a view of a tree covered rock in a picture entitled “FortuneHomes Beach and Grill”
Further South, Redmond Zapanta provided a view entitled “papawyan Falls”
Further South, Jerald James Capao provide a view of a rocky bluff entitled “Puerto Princesa Subterranean River National Park”
Further South, Jim Colico provided a view entitled “Tabon Cave, Quezon, Palawan”
Further South, Christian Jay M Caneda provided a view entitled “7 Falls Hotspring and Nature Park”
Further South, Peter Elbert Go provided a view entitled “Sitio Marabahay Pier” .. This scene includes what may be an outboard motor powered outrigger canoe. Along with what may be larger outrigger equipped vessels.

(th)
Last edited by tahanson43206 on Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
tahanson43206

Postby tahanson43206 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:33 pm

20180609 Magellan Thread

497 years ago, on this day Ferdinand Magellan is deceased. A massacre of officers and crew further reduced the complement of the expedition to 107. Only two ships remain of the original five. This post is for June 9th. The remaining crew (apparently) remains motivated to find spices and return to Spain, but they are lost in every sense of the word. They are near the Philippines island of Palawan, but have no idea where the spice islands may be.

As the reference below shows, Antonio Pigafetta's narrative of the voyage records departure from Palawan on June 21st.

Begin Quotation:
End Quotation.

Begin Quotation:
End Quotation.

Begin Quotation:
End Quotation.

Begin Quotation:
After coasting along Palawan, they left its southern point on 21 June 1521. They passed through the Balabac Strait, between the islands of Balabac and Banggi, and south-west along the coast of Borneo to Brunei in Latitude 5 Degrees North.
End Quotation.

In part 2, we will look ahead to a time when we will be able to move beyond the solar system and explore the nearby stars.
End Quotation

(th)
tahanson43206

Postby tahanson43206 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:40 pm

20180616 Magellan Thread

497 years ago, on this day Ferdinand Magellan is deceased. A massacre of officers and crew further reduced the complement of the expedition to 107. Only two ships remain of the original five. This post is for June 16th. The remaining crew (apparently) remains motivated to find spices and return to Spain, but they are lost in every sense of the word. They are near the Philippines island of Palawan, but have no idea where the spice islands may be.

Begin Quotation:
End Quotation.

From Page 67 of Reference #1:
Begin Quotation:
[112] Those people of Palawan go naked like the others [773]. Almost all of them cultivate their fields; they have blowpipes with wooden arrows more than a span in length with harpoon points, and others tipped with fish-bones, and poisoned with an herb;
End Quotation.

Begin Quotation:
End Quotation.

Begin Quotation:
End Quotation.

In part 2, we will look ahead to a time when we will be able to move beyond the solar system and explore the nearby stars.
End Quotation

(th)
Last edited by tahanson43206 on Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
tahanson43206

Postby tahanson43206 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:55 pm

20180623 Magellan Thread

Continuing with weekly update …This post is for June 23rd.

497 years ago, on this day Ferdinand Magellan is deceased. A massacre of officers and crew further reduced the complement of the expedition to 107. Only two ships remain of the original five. This post is for June 23rd. The remaining crew (apparently) remains motivated to find spices and return to Spain, but they are lost in every sense of the word. They have departed from the Philippines island of Palawan, but have no idea where the spice islands may be.

Begin Quotation:
End Quotation.

Begin Quotation:
End Quotation.

In part 3, we analyze what it would require to modify our bodies to enable us to find a new home among the stars.
End Quotation

(th)
Last edited by tahanson43206 on Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
tahanson43206

Postby tahanson43206 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:39 pm

20180630 Magellan Thread

Continuing with weekly update …This post is for June 30th.

497 years ago, on this day Ferdinand Magellan is deceased. A massacre of officers and crew further reduced the complement of the expedition to 107. Only two ships remain of the original five. This post is for June 23rd. The remaining crew (apparently) remains motivated to find spices and return to Spain, but they are lost in every sense of the word. They have departed from the Philippines island of Palawan, but have no idea where the spice islands may be.

Begin Quotation:
End Quotation.

Begin Quotation:
End Quotation.

Per Reference #12 on page 15:
Lastly, we explore the possibility that we will face not just the death of the Earth but the death of the Universe itself.
End Quotation

(th)
Last edited by tahanson43206 on Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
tahanson43206

Postby tahanson43206 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:56 pm

20180707 Magellan Thread

Continuing with weekly update …This post is for July 7th

497 years ago, on this day Ferdinand Magellan is deceased. A massacre of officers and crew further reduced the complement of the expedition to 107. Only two ships remain of the original five. This post is for July 7th. The remaining crew (apparently) remains motivated to find spices and return to Spain, but they are lost in every sense of the word. They have departed from the Philippines island of Palawan, and will arrive at Brunei on July 9th.

Begin Quotation:
End Quotation.

Note 253 on page 164 of Reference #1 supplements Pigafetta's narrative:
Begin Quotation:
Bruney Bay, in the northeast part of the island of Borneo.
End Quotation.

Google Earth shows the bay reported above with the spelling “Bruney Bay”, with the spelling “Brunei Bay”

Visitors to the area have uploaded pictures to Google Earth.

An image uploaded by Ho Kamdy shows a hotel landscape characterized by palm trees and blue water.
An image uploaded by Zavier Tiam shows a sunset over a beach walkway … the title is “Sipitang Sabah”
An image uploaded by Liew tedkhiong shows another sunset over a beach scene, once again with a hotel in the center of the scene.
An image uploaded by Lim Lee shows a sunset over water, with a remnant of a pier in the foreground. The title is “SK Punang”
Near a point marked as Pulau Kuramar, Lgm Tour has uploaded a beach scene with a title given in four logograms.
Near a landmark called Paulau Daat, Hung-Chieh Lien uploaded a beach scene with the title “Pulau Papan”
Sin Liat Shia uploaded an image of a ferry near a beach with the title “Terminal Feri Menumbok”
Richard Kam uploaded an image of a sunset with the title “Sunset @ Weston”

Per Reference #12 on page 15:
Humanity is about to embark on perhaps its greatest adventure. … The journey to the stars begins with the very first rocket.
End Quotation

(th)
Last edited by tahanson43206 on Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tahanson43206

Postby tahanson43206 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:36 pm

20180714 Magellan Thread

Continuing with weekly update …This post is for July 14th

497 years ago, on this day Ferdinand Magellan is deceased. A massacre of officers and crew further reduced the complement of the expedition to 107. Only two ships remain of the original five. The remaining crew (apparently) remains motivated to find spices and return to Spain. They arrived at Brunei on July 9th.

Begin Quotation:
End Quotation.

The next entry in the Chronology of the Voyage in Reference #1 is for July 29th of 1521.

In Reference #10, on page 97, Nancy Smiler Levinson reports:
Begin Quotation:
Without Magellan's seafaring abilities, the two well-worn ships sailed aimlessly from island to island, with the men collecting what food they could. But they never found enough to stave off constant hunger. Since they were sailing in Portuguese territory, they were always in fear of being caught by the Portuguese sailors.
End Quotation.

Per Reference #12 on page 17: Part I Leaving the Earth

Begin Quotation from Leaving the Earth on Page 19:
On October 19, 1899, … His name was Robert Goddard, and he went on to perfect the first liquid fueld multistage rocket, setting into motion events that changed the course of human history.
End Quotation

(th)
Last edited by tahanson43206 on Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
tahanson43206

PreviousNext

Return to How to build a civilization from scratch on another world?