Permaculture

Permaculture

Postby cparks » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:14 am

I see no mention of permaculture or agroforestry in the chapter, and I am a bit disappointed. The chapter goes over all sorts of methods to work a monoculture, but a polyculture fashioned after a natural forest is much less labor intensive and provides a much more diverse selection of foods.
cparks

Re: Permaculture/true preparation

Postby BillF » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:17 pm

I posted in "Can You Prepare for the Apocolypse" that I would maintain certain things/books. I failed to mention Matt Warnock Turner's "Remarkable Plants of Texas" (my copy, Univ. of Texas Press). It is generic to my area. The author profiles plants as "uncommon accounts of our common natives". One example, the Yucca is of use in "foodstuff, fiber, soap, tanning agent, medicine, building material, and fuel." I defined permaculture to a relative as the propagation of multiply useful native periennials. The live oak, and pecan being food, shade, fuel, building material, etc. The native periennial is so obvious to our survival, that it may often be overlooked. Should I ever start a primitive skills camp or workshop, it's core cirriculum would be plant knowledge (foraging). Such a practical rebuilding of the homestead needs a chapter.
BillF

Return to 3. Agriculture