Clay stove, simply

Clay stove, simply

Postby BillF » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:06 pm

Dr. Dartnell does encourage the comfort and ingenuity of survivors. Don't grunt and drag yourself through the apocalypse, do so upright. In the below mentioned magazine there is an article on Otzi. Otzi was a poster perfect icon for the survivors of the Fall. His survival gear, and his shoes! in particular were works of pure endemic practicality. Well would be time spent studying Otzi, the Iceman. This board's title made me think of something I read years ago. It was asked: what were the critical essentials for pioneers and the native Americans back when. Surely fire and a knife were there, but one item surprised me, a sewing needle. The ability to tailor clothing was the first ring of defense from nature. Read "To Build a Fire" by Jack London. Our hero is very appropriately dressed for his environment and can build a fire. He carries no tent or other gear to speak of in a very inhospitable area. Sure he dies, but he had a great coat. Garrison Keillor's account of Lewis and Clark's expedition mentioned they carried some 5,000 sewing needles with them for trade along their route. I think a needle and thread would be something to gather.

I received my latest copy of "The Backwoodsman" magazine and found a description of a great cooking device. The author tells us how to build a clay stove very simply. He laid a bundle of sticks horizontally on the ground. Say 1 foot around and 2 feet in length, or one by two of any suitable size. Then make a second bundle of sticks say 1/2 around as the horizontal bundle and the same length. Stand this second bundle of sticks vertically at one end of the horizontal bundle. Shore each bundle up with pegs to hold all in place. Dot on top of the horizontal bundle two or three slices of wood. Cover all this with green leaves or boughs, then coat with clay mixed with some grass as a binder. Leave the tops only of the wood slices uncovered. The slices of wood fall through when the horizontal bundle burns away leaving pot holes along the top; so make them of a size to fit your cooking pots. Light the wood and your clay stove cures in place. The vertical bundle leaves a nice chimney at the one end. "The Backwoodsman" has been touted by the L.A. Times as one of the top three "primitive skills" publications around. It covers a lot of ground. Preppers would love it. It has always struck me as very unbiased on most accounts. Bill

http://www.backwoodsmanmag.com/
BillF

Return to 4. Food and Clothing