Hunting, Weapons

Hunting, Weapons

Postby Jonathan_Kaufmann » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:28 pm

Hello,

i´m now reading chapter 4 of this great book.

I´m missing a litte bit some information about hunting, trapping, fishing etc.

And generally making / using weapons (for hunting, again aggressors..) and easy solutions to protec your home (alarm system e.g. -> while sleeping).

Maybe, this could be a new chapter in the next edition.

Greetings
Jonathan
Jonathan_Kaufmann

Re: Hunting, Weapons

Postby lewis » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:54 pm

Hi Jonathan,
Thanks very much for your suggestion. You're right, there are other wilderness skills like trapping and hunting that would be important in a survival situation and could have been included in the first chapter. But it's far more effective to farm domesticated animals for feeding a society, and that's what I focused on for that section of the book.
Hope you enjoy the rest!
L
lewis
Site Admin

Re: Hunting, Weapons... Urging Inclusion

Postby Dave Z » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:50 am

I've got to say I lean with Jonathon! A section on hunting, snaring, fishing may help get many through until husbandry gets traction.

In most of the scenarios that I think are likely, the half-urban world chew through its seed- and live-stock in short order. So I see a good chance of hunter/gatherer mode for many until agriculture and husbandry get traction (if they can in a possibly less predictable climate).

How about a 'chapter', here, if not in the book?

Dave Z
Dave Z

Re: Hunting, Weapons PVC Bows and Crossbows

Postby Dave Z » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:02 am

PVC Bows and Crossbows

Decent quality bows can be quickly and easily made from scavenged PVC pipe (stiff plastic waterpipe and conduit). Minimal tools and heat are used to shape the bow to any number of styles and applications. They're rugged and impervious to water.

Decent arrows aren't as easy, but practice makes perfecter. Crossbow darts aren't as finnicky.

http://backyardbowyer.com is a great place to start.

Dave Z
Dave Z

Re: Hunting, Weapons

Postby Dave Z » Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:55 am

Deadfalls, Pits and Snares

I would suggest learning a 'modular' set of trap/snare components... four different triggers, say, two or three spring/fall mechanisms and three or four killing mechanisms. Another small set of refining features, and we have a very versatile set that's easy to hold in the mind.

There's a lot of accessory information, too, that we'd do well to master before our time of need. Consider checking out internet and Youtube resources.

Consider that snares and traps are illegal in many places. They kill without discretion, so keep well away from children and pets.

Here is one Trigger for a Deadfall that I find to be a much easier to set variation of the hyper-sensitive Paiute Trigger:

Dave Z

Return to 4. Food and Clothing