Hi, everyone; collected errata?

Hi, everyone; collected errata?

Postby Bruce Mardle » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:36 pm

Hi, everyone.

Just finished reading 'The Knowledge'. Very interesting but there are a few things which seem dubious, confusing or just plain wrong. Is there a list of errata anywhere? If not, I'll look at parts of this forum that pertain to each chapter.

Just tried making my first lump of soap (success!) and part of the Solvay Process (failure... so far!). I love recreating old technologies (when I have the energy). Those are my favourite bits of 'Time Team' :)

The book ends by asking what knowledge I'd preserve.
I'd preserve how to make black tea!
I'm not sure I'd want to live in a world where I couldn't have a decent cuppa! :shock:
(My favourite variety of tea is darjeeling. If civilization collapses, it might be a while before Britain is trading with India again! I might have to do with Tregothnan tea from Cornwall.)
Bruce Mardle

Re: Hi, everyone; collected errata?

Postby Dave Z » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:55 am

Hi Bruce, and Welcome!

I've been enjoying your comments. And I'm impressed by you're trying out processes, already. I'm still working up to most (soap's on the near horizon!).

I don't know if there is a collection of errata.

A question for you... I've heard that Dandelion Root 'coffee substitute' is popular in England, and that many prefer it to coffee OR tea. Have you tried it? Do you have an opinion? Might be some sort of solace should our preferred substances are no longer available? :?

Dave Z
Dave Z

Postby Bruce Mardle » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:12 am

Hi, Dave.
I've heard of dandelion root tea but never tasted it, though there are usually plenty of dandelions about!
I think that during World War 2 there were a few 'ersatz' coffees, e.g. chicory. I think I've even seen that in shops, though not for years.

It took about 6 months from registering to my posts appearing here and I've forgotten which bits of the book I found dubious. (I should have made notes.) Time for me to re-read it?
Bruce Mardle

Postby Dave Z » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:27 pm

Hi Bruce,

Anke and I practice erzatz, both for fun and as we're often a long way in time and/or space from the grocery store. Mosly working from dried goods and foraged foods.

One of the tricks to satisfying erzatz, I feel, is to focus on the spirit - not the letter - of substitution. A classic example from the recent past was substituting carob for chocolate. Pretty delicious in its own right, and only disappointing if one expects it to be chocolate!

My guess is that erzatz is going to be a necessary skill in years to come. :|

Dave Z
Dave Z

Return to New members