20160920 Magellan Space City Designer Planet Simulation

Re: 20160920 Magellan Space City Designer Planet Simulation

Postby tahanson43206 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:55 am

20180721 Magellan Thread

As a note of possible interest to any readers who might be thinking of applying for membership in this forum:
It has been established that the Signature Line of your pending membership can be used for communication.
I do not have a way (at present) to see who has logged in recently, but I can check the status of the newest member.
If you have applied for membership in the forum, and no one else has applied after you, then you will be listed as the newest member.
It is easy for me to check the newest member status, because the newest member is listed at the bottom of the main page.
It has been established that while an applicant is waiting for approval by the administrator, I can send Private Mail to the applicant.
It has been established that an applicant who receives Private Mail can reply via the Signature Line of the membership.
This is a curious way to communicate, I admit, but I am interested in hearing from applicants.
I would like to hear from anyone who would like to try the culture of self-directed knowledge accumulation I have tried to demonstrate.

Continuing with weekly update …This post is for July 21st

497 years ago, on this day Ferdinand Magellan is deceased. A massacre of officers and crew further reduced the complement of the expedition to 107. Only two ships remain of the original five. The remaining crew (apparently) remains motivated to find spices and return to Spain. They arrived at Brunei on July 9th.

Per Reference #1 on page lxii, for June 21st:
Begin Quotation:
21 June 1521: Victoria and Trinidad depart Palawan. They arrived at Brunei on the north-eastern coast of Borneo on 9 July.
End Quotation.

The quotation above is from the record given by Antonio Pigafetta, as summarized in the “Chronology of the Voyage”

Because this thread is following the expedition in “real time” (displaced by 497 years) it is my intention to continue following the crew as they struggled in the weeks and months ahead to secure the prize of spices for which they had sailed, and to return to Spain.

The next entry in the Chronology of the Voyage in Reference #1 is for July 29th of 1521. The expedition is still near Brunei, Borneo.

In Reference #10, on page 97, Nancy Smiler Levinson reports:
Begin Quotation:
Without Magellan's seafaring abilities, the two well-worn ships sailed aimlessly from island to island, with the men collecting what food they could. But they never found enough to stave off constant hunger. Since they were sailing in Portuguese territory, they were always in fear of being caught by the Portuguese sailors.
End Quotation.

Google Earth provides a contemporary glimpse of the area around Brunei. (Search for brunei borneo)

Rudyno HS provides an image with the title: Universiti Brunei Darussalam

Alif Azaman provides an image with the title: Lambak Kiri Secondary School

Shida Bohari provides an image of Tanjung Batu Beach. This scene is likely to be similar to the one observed 500 years ago.

DonDhieLee Tijarah Sdn Bhd provides another seascape view: Looking forward Sunset

Haley Joiner provides an image of a sunsite with the title: The Empire Country Club

Uli Schnakenberg provides an image of an inland scene which may show fresh water. Title: Lalak Lake National Park

Per Reference #12 on page 17: Part I Leaving the Earth – Section: Preparing for Liftoff

On pages 20 and 21, Dr. Kaku reviews the life and achievements of Konstantin Tsilokovsky.

Begin Quotation from Leaving the Earth on Page 21:
Although Tsiolkovsky was too poor to convert his mathematical equations into actual models, the next step was taken by Robert Goddard, who actually built the prototypes that would one day form the basis of space travel.
End Quotation

As a note of possible interest to readers of Dr. Dartnell's forum, member Cerean here is a member of the New Mars forum where he uses the name Terraformer.

In recent days, Terraformer has been participating in a discussion of what it will take to create and sustain a first tier “civilization” on Mars.

To find Terraformer's posts and the related topics, use the search tool on the New Mars forum web site, enter Author: Terraformer and select posts before [Submit]

(th)
Last edited by tahanson43206 on Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May every member of The Knowledge forum grow financially, intellectually, socially and beyond.
tahanson43206

Postby tahanson43206 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:08 pm

20180728 Magellan Thread

As a note of possible interest to any readers who might be thinking of applying for membership in this forum:
It has been established that the Signature Line of your pending membership can be used for communication.
I do not have a way (at present) to see who has logged in recently, but I can check the status of the newest member.
If you have applied for membership in the forum, and no one else has applied after you, then you will be listed as the newest member.
It is easy for me to check the newest member status, because the newest member is listed at the bottom of the main page.
It has been established that while an applicant is waiting for approval by the administrator, I can send Private Mail to the applicant.
It has been established that an applicant who receives Private Mail can reply via the Signature Line of the membership.
This is a curious way to communicate, I admit, but I am interested in hearing from applicants.
I would like to hear from anyone who would like to try the culture of self-directed knowledge accumulation I have tried to demonstrate.

Continuing with weekly update …This post is for July 28th

497 years ago, on this day Ferdinand Magellan is deceased. A massacre of officers and crew further reduced the complement of the expedition to 107. Only two ships remain of the original five. The remaining crew (apparently) remains motivated to find spices and return to Spain. They arrived at Brunei on July 9th.

Per Reference #1 on page lxii, for July 29th:
Begin Quotation:
29 July 1521: The Europeans attack a group of junks off Brunei, capturing four and killing several others.
End Quotation.

The quotation above is from the record given by Antonio Pigafetta, as summarized in the “Chronology of the Voyage”

Because this thread is following the expedition in “real time” (displaced by 497 years) it is my intention to continue following the crew as they struggled in the weeks and months ahead to secure the prize of spices for which they had sailed, and to return to Spain.

On page 71 of Reference #1, Pigafetta provides more detail, and an explanation for the attack on the junks.

Begin Quotation:
[121] On Monday morning, 29 July, we saw more than one hundred praus divided into three squadrons and a like number of tunguli (which are their small boats) coming toward us [838]. Upon catching sight of them, imagining that there was some trickery afoot, we hoisted our sails as quickly as possible, slipping an anchor in our haste [839]. We were especially concerned that we might be caught in between certain junks that had anchored behind us on the preceding day [840]. We immediately turned upon the latter, capturing four of them and killing many persons [841].
End Quotation.

The next entry in the Chronology of the Voyage in Reference #1 is for the 15th of August of 1521.

Per Reference #12 on page 17: Part I Leaving the Earth – Section: Preparing for Liftoff

On pages 21 through 23, Dr. Kaku reviews the life and achievements of Robert Goddard

Begin Quotation from Leaving the Earth on Page 21:
Goddard systematically turned this curiosity into a usable scientific tool by introducing three innovations.
End Quotation

Dr. Kaku then describes the innovations in some detail. They were: liquid fuel, multi-stage rockets, and gyroscopes for guidance.

As a note of possible interest to readers of Dr. Dartnell's forum, member Cerean here is a member of the New Mars forum where he uses the name Terraformer.

In recent days, Terraformer has been participating in a discussion of what it will take to create and sustain a first tier “civilization” on Mars.

To find Terraformer's posts and the related topics, use the search tool on the New Mars forum web site, enter Author: Terraformer and select posts before [Submit]

(th)
Last edited by tahanson43206 on Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
May every member of The Knowledge forum grow financially, intellectually, socially and beyond.
tahanson43206

Postby tahanson43206 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:15 pm

20180804 Magellan Thread

Continuing with weekly update …This post is for August 4th.

497 years ago, on this day Ferdinand Magellan is deceased. The crew is reduced to 107. Only two ships remain of the original five. The remaining crew (apparently) remains motivated to find spices and return to Spain.

Begin Quotation:
29 July 1521: The Europeans attack a group of junks off Brunei, capturing four and killing several others.
End Quotation.

Per Reference #1 on page lxiii, for August 15th:
Begin Quotation:
15 August 1521: Victoria and Trinidad call at Cimbonbon (Banguey) on the south side of the Balabac Strait, where they remain forty-two days repairing the ships and gathering provisions.
End Quotation.

The quotations above are from the summary of the record given by Antonio Pigafetta, as presented in the “Chronology of the Voyage”

On page 76 of Reference #1, Pigafetta provides a glimpse of events and the situation:

Begin Quotation:
Leaving that island, we turned back [Note 271 page 165: That is, northeast along the coast of Borneo] in order to find a suitable place to caulk the ships, for they were leaking. One ship ran on to some shoals of an island called Bibalon, [Note 272 page 165: ...Masoero identifies it as Balambegan] because of the carelessness of its pilot, but by the help of God we freed it.
End Quotation.

Google Earth and Google Maps are tantalizing resources to try to visualize the environment in which the expedition was sailing.

Names of locations recorded by Pigafetta have not persisted in all cases. The island of “Cimbonbon” was reported as:
Begin Quotation on Page 76 of Reference 1:
...which lies in [a latitude of] eight degrees and seven minutes, is a perfect port for repairing ships; [273]
End Quotation.

Note 273 on page 165 offers:
Begin Quotation:
Cape Sempang Mangayau is the northernmost point of Borneo, in latitude 7 degrees N. Cimbonbon is either Balambangan or Banguey, islands north of Cape Sempang Mangauau.
End Quotation.

Google Earth has an entry for Simpang Mengayau, at 7 degrees 1 minute 46.63 seconds North and 116 degrees 44 minutes 40.18 seconds East.

Simpang Mengayau Chalet has an entry, with pictures uploaded by visitors.

What may be a view of the Northernmost tip of rock on Borneo is shown by Hwat Sing Hwang

An image of rocks, a quiet sea, a bluff with trees, and a richly colored sunset is uploaded by Harris McHorror with the title “Tip of Borneo”

An image with the title “Simpang Mengayau Chalet” by “I’ll be your llama” shows another view of rocks projecting into a blue ocean under a light blue sky.

The islands North of the tip of Borneo are reported in Google Earth with spellings of: Pulau Balambangan and Pulau Banggi.

The next entry in the Chronology of the Voyage in Reference #1 is for the 15th of August of 1521.

On pages 23 through 27, Dr. Kaku reviews the life and achievements of Wernher von Braun, up to the point he and 100 assistants surrendered to the allies at the end of World War II.

Begin Quotation from Leaving the Earth on Page 23:
Wernher von Braun would take the sketches, dreams, and models of his predecessors and with the support of the German government—and later the United States—would create gargantuan rockets that would successfully take us to the moon.
End Quotation

To find Terraformer's posts and the related topics, use the search tool on the New Mars forum web site, enter Author: Terraformer and select posts and then [Submit]

The main page of the New Mars forum offers an option to see Active topics, which will show postings by other members.

(th)
Last edited by tahanson43206 on Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
tahanson43206

Postby tahanson43206 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:05 am

20180811 Magellan Thread

Continuing with weekly update …This post is for August 11th.

497 years ago, on this day Ferdinand Magellan is deceased. The crew is reduced to 107. Only two ships remain of the original five. The remaining crew (apparently) remains motivated to find spices and return to Spain.

Begin Quotation:
End Quotation.

Apparently during this period the crews looked for opportunities to engage in piracy.

Per Reference #1 on page 76, text by Antonio Pigafetta:
Begin Quotation:
[127] … Then pursuing our course, we captured a prau laden with coconuts on its way to Borneo.
End Quotation.

Begin Quotation:
15 August 1521: Victoria and Trinidad call at Cimbonbon (Banguey) on the south side of the Balabac Strait, where they remain forty-two days repairing the ships and gathering provisions.
End Quotation.

The quotations above are from the summary of the record given by Antonio Pigafetta, as presented in the “Chronology of the Voyage”

On pages 27 through 28, Dr. Kaku reviews the events and political situation which led to the launch of Sputnik. He reminds us of Isaac Newton's thought experiment of firing a cannon so that the ball would circle the Earth.

Begin Quotation on page 28:
Newton's vision became a reality when the Soviets launched the world's first artificial satellite, Sputnik, in October 1957.
End Quotation.
>>>

To find Terraformer's posts and the related topics, use the search tool on the New Mars forum web site, enter Author: Terraformer and select posts and then [Submit]

The main page of the New Mars forum offers an option to see Active topics, which will show postings by other members. There are a wide range of discussions underway in the New Mars forum, and a wide range of knowledge and education are on display.

(th)
Last edited by tahanson43206 on Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tahanson43206

Postby tahanson43206 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:27 pm

20180818 Magellan Thread

Continuing with weekly update …This post is for August 18th.

Begin Quotation:
End Quotation.

Per Reference #1 on page 76, Antonio Pigafetta reports:
Begin Quotation:
[128] At the head of Borneo between it an an island called Cimbonbon, which lies in [a latitude of] eight degrees and seven minutes, is a perfect port for repairing ships; consequently we entered it, but as we lacked many things for repairing the ships, we remained there for forty-two days.
End Quotation.

Note 274 on page 165: Between 15 August and 21 September 1521

The next entry in the Chronology of the Voyage in Reference #1 is for September of 1521.

Because the crew will be occupied for forty days attending to ship repairs, I asked Mr. Google for links to information about what that process might have been like:

http://thepirateempire.blogspot.com/201 ... t-sea.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Careening

http://www.pbchistoryonline.org/page/li ... anish-ship

Begin Quotation:

To learn more about life on board ship in the sixteenth century, click on the links below:

Ships in the Age of Discovery

http://suite101.com/article/ships-in-th ... ry-a127632

"Life at sea in the age of sail," Royal Museum Greenwich, London

http://www.rmg.co.uk/explore/sea-and-sh ... ge-of-sail

History of the Caravel

http://nautarch.tamu.edu/shiplab/01Geor ... istory.htm

End Quotation.

Maritime Exploration in the Age of Discovery, 1415-1800 (Greenwood Guides to Historic Events 1500-1900) 1st Edition
by Ronald S. Love (Author)

One new copy is available on amazon for $50

On pages 28 through 31, Dr. Kaku reviews the events and political situation which followed the launch of Sputnik in October of 1957. He reminds us of the embarrassment of the failure of the US Navy Vanguard rocket, and the enormous effort expended by the United States in competition with the Soviet Union, to land a human on the Moon.

>>>

The main page of the New Mars forum offers an option to see Active topics, which will show postings by other members. There are a wide range of discussions underway in the New Mars forum, and a wide range of knowledge and education are on display. The New Mars forum is accepting new members, although (I observe) the administrators are alert for spam memberships which are removed within hours of appearance.

(th)
Last edited by tahanson43206 on Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
tahanson43206

Postby tahanson43206 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:59 am

20180825 Magellan Thread

Continuing with weekly update …This post is for August 25th.

Begin Quotation:
End Quotation.

Begin Quotation:
[128] At the head of Borneo between it an an island called Cimbonbon, which lies in [a latitude of] eight degrees and seven minutes, is a perfect port for repairing ships; consequently we entered it, but as we lacked many things for repairing the ships, we remained there for forty-two days.
End Quotation.

In article [128] on page 76, Antonio Pigafetta continued:

Begin Quotation:
During that time, each of us laboured hard, one at one thing and one at another, but our greatest labour was to go barefoot into the woods for firewood [883]. In that island there are wild boars, of which we killed one that was going by water from one island to another [by pursuing it] with a small boat; it's head was two and one-half span long, and its teeth were large [884].
End Quotation.

Note 274 on page 165: Between 15 August and 21 September 1521

The next entry in the Chronology of the Voyage in Reference #1 is for September of 1521.

On pages 31 through 35, Dr. Kaku reviews the decline of the American space program.

Begin quotation from page 35 (with reference to the Chinese decision to abandon their exploration of the oceans after 1433):
The U.S. Space program similarly fell into decline. But now the political and economic circumstances are changing. A new cast of characters is taking center stage.
End Quotation.

>>>

The main page of the New Mars forum offers an option to see Active topics, which will show postings by other members. There are a wide range of discussions underway in the New Mars forum, and a wide range of knowledge and education are on display. The New Mars forum is accepting new members, although (I observe) the administrators are alert for spam memberships which are removed within hours of appearance.

The Active topics button displays recent messages in descending chronological order, with the most recent post on top. This arrangement is helpful for keeping track of conversations which occur in various tracks.

I note that the level of civility in this forum is remarkable, despite the presence of provocations which occur from time to time.

(th)
Last edited by tahanson43206 on Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tahanson43206

Postby tahanson43206 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:25 am

20180901 Magellan Thread

Continuing with weekly update …This post is for September 1st.

Begin Quotation:
End Quotation.

Begin Quotation:
End Quotation.

Begin Quotation from page 76, Article [128]
There are large crocodiles there, both on land and sea, oysters and shellfish of various kinds; among the last named we found two, the flesh of one which weighted twenty-six pounds, and the other forty-four. Note 275 Page 166: 'The Tridacna gigas ...The shells sometimes attain a length of five or six feet, and weigh hundreds of pounds'(Robertson, 2:203)
End Quotation.

Per Reference #12 on page 36: Part II New Golden Age of Space Travel

On page 36, Dr. Kaku considers the apparent revival of the American space program.

Begin Quotation on page 36:
Unlike the decline of China's naval fleet, which lasted for centuries, the U.S. Manned space program is experiencing a revival after decades of neglect.
End Quotation.
>>>

In recent days, Terraformer has been participating in a discussion of what it will take to create and sustain a first tier “civilization” on Mars. In particular, discussion has included consideration of use of Boyle's Law to hold aloft a fabric tower, as well as design of a kind of yoyo to facilitate deployment of an orbiting skyhook. These particular topics are included with what appears to be substantial mathematical underpinning.

The Active topics button displays recent messages in descending chronological order, with the most recent post on top. This arrangement is helpful for keeping track of conversations which occur in various tracks.

(th)
Last edited by tahanson43206 on Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tahanson43206

Postby tahanson43206 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:47 pm

20180908 This is a stub for a weekly update
tahanson43206

Postby tahanson43206 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:47 pm

20180915 This is a stub for a weekly update.
tahanson43206

Postby tahanson43206 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:54 pm

20180922 This is a stub for a weekly update
tahanson43206

PreviousNext

Return to How to build a civilization from scratch on another world?