Hello

Hello

Postby snowowl » Tue May 06, 2014 10:11 pm

This is primarily a note to Dr. Dartnell to thank him for this extraordinary book. I began and finished the book today (May 6, 2014). It was so interesting that I could not stop reading. As he points out, there are many books about the horrors of an apocalyptic event and I think we all are aware of what that would look like. The different thing about this book is that it goes beyond despair to talk about what would happen when survivors began the task of recreating civilization. The lesson is that we should not underestimate human resilience. At the same time, the complexity and fragility of our interdependent civilization is made clear.

As a scientist, Dr. Dartnell deals with the need to reestablish the technological basis of our civilization and I agree that that would be the priority after any apocalyptic event. My own background is in history and law and the topic made me think about what kind of legal system (if any) would arise from the ashes of such an event. Could democratic government and ideas survive such a trial? This is , of course, a different book than this one and might be of interest to some. I invite anyone interested in this topic to email me with their thoughts at GaryBJackson@msn.com.

Again, I thank the author for a profound and novel "thought experiment." History is not always the story of human progress. The lost centuries of Europe's Dark Ages after the fall of Rome remind us that civilization itself may sometimes require a "reboot."

Gary Jackson
snowowl

Return to New members