20160208 Vision Author Culture on Knowledge Forum

Re: 20160208 Vision Author Culture on Knowledge Forum

Postby tahanson43206 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:15 am

20180421 Update Knowledge Forum Knowledge Thread

As a note of possible interest to any readers who might be thinking of applying for membership in this forum:
It has been established that the Signature Line of your pending membership can be used for communication.
I do not have a way (at present) to see who has logged in recently, but I can check the status of the newest member.
If you have applied for membership in the forum, and no one else has applied after you, then you will be listed as the newest member.
It is easy for me to check the newest member status, because the newest member is listed at the bottom of the main page.
It has been established that while an applicant is waiting for approval by the administrator, I can send Private Mail.
It has been established that an applicant who receives Private Mail can reply via the Signature Line of the membership.
This is a curious way to communicate, I admit, but I am interested in hearing from applicants.

Continuing with the weekly update:

Reference #1 Page 34 Paragraph 1

Chapter: The Grace Period
Section: Shelter

In this section, Dr. Dartnell develops his theme in some detail.

The paragraph that begins: “In the situation”, reviews the importance of securing appropriate clothing as soon as possible

Because this thread is using Dr. Dartnell's book as a starting point, I note the value of planning for provision of appropriate clothing in a wide range of alternative futures. Taking relocation to Mars as an extreme example, it seems to me appropriate to try to plan ahead for machine generation of threads which would possess characteristics we humans have observed in nature, and which we have been able to create out of raw materials.

Machine generation of thread is a technology that would save Mars residents from the challenge of trying to recreate living entities which evolved on Earth, and to try to support them in artificial habitats quite different from that to be found on Mars.

In Reference #3, below, Mr. Bessen is developing the topic of Standards ...

Reference #3 Chapter 4
Title: Standard Knowledge
Section: Some Effects of Standardizing Knowledge
Pages 55-57

In this section, Mr. Bessen allocates a paragraph to each of these:
Begin Quotation:
1.The nature of training.
2.The scale of training and production
3.Geographic dispersion.
4.Intellectual property strategy
5.Labor markets.
End Quotation.

Because we are here considering a community that might exist on Mars, I am reminded again of Edward M. Lerner's vision of “InterstellarNet”.

Long before we humans may be exchanging communications between communities separated by light years, we will be exchanging communications between communities separated by light hours. Under those circumstances, and even here on Earth, standards of all kinds will facilitate efficiency of communication. In particular, standards for specification of instruction for nanoscale fabrication machines will enable individuals and groups at widely separated locations to quickly and efficiently set up production capability for newly invented arrangements of atoms and molecules for a wide variety of purposes.

(th)
May every member of The Knowledge forum grow financially, intellectually, socially and beyond.
tahanson43206

Postby tahanson43206 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:36 am

20180428 Update Knowledge Forum Knowledge Thread

As a note of possible interest to any readers who might be thinking of applying for membership in this forum:
It has been established that the Signature Line of your pending membership can be used for communication.
I do not have a way (at present) to see who has logged in recently, but I can check the status of the newest member.
If you have applied for membership in the forum, and no one else has applied after you, then you will be listed as the newest member.
It is easy for me to check the newest member status, because the newest member is listed at the bottom of the main page.
It has been established that while an applicant is waiting for approval by the administrator, I can send Private Mail to the applicant.
It has been established that an application who receives Private Mail can reply via the Signature Line of the membership.
This is a curious way to communicate, I admit, but I am interested in hearing from applicants.

Reference #1 Page 34 Paragraph 2

The paragraph that begins: “Warm clothes aside”, reviews the availability of fire making devices.

Because this thread is using Dr. Dartnell's book as a starting point, I note the value of planning for provision of chemical combustion in an emergency on Earth today, as well as away from Earth in a myriad of possible locations.

A time honored way to achieve chemical combustion is through generation of heat using friction, as Dr. Dartnell notes in this paragraph. However, I am interested in the use of hand cranked permanent magnets to develop arcs of electricity. A small internal combustion engine is often equipped with a hand starter, which generates voltage to cause ignition at a spark gap. While the devices of this type are likely to be optimized for conditions in the cylinder of a piston which is supplied with atomized gasoline mixed with oxygen from the atmosphere, it may be possible to apply the principles at work, to generate a stronger spark capable of igniting oil vapors (for example).

Reference #3 Chapter 4
Section: Disruptive Innovation
Pages 57-61

In this section, Mr. Bessen opens with a review of an innovative concept for online shopping, announced by Gerald M. Levin, chairman of Time Warner in 1994.

This concept was advanced for its time, but it did not succeed.

Mr. Bessen's summary includes:
Begin Quotation:
Gerald Levin did not lack technological imagination; his vision was bold and futuristic. Nor did he and his allies lack technical competence. But they lacked social imagination. The Internet easily surpassed their efforts because its social structure gave developers and users vast opportunities for learning by doing.
End Quotation.

And at the top of Page 61, Mr. Bessen brings the importance of standards to the discussion:
Begin Quotation:
The Internet was built on open standards: key elements of the knowledge about its hardware and plumbing were standardized, and these standards were made freely available.
End Quotation.

The word “standards” is not present in the index of “The Knowledge”. Perhaps it will appear in a second edition.
(th)
May every member of The Knowledge forum grow financially, intellectually, socially and beyond.
tahanson43206

Postby tahanson43206 » Sun May 06, 2018 11:52 pm

20180505 Update Knowledge Forum Knowledge Thread

It has been established that while an applicant is waiting for approval by the administrator, I can send Private Mail to the applicant.
It has been established that an application who receives Private Mail can reply via the Signature Line of the membership.
I would like to hear from anyone who would like to try the culture of self-directed knowledge accumulation I have tried to demonstrate.

Reference #1 Page 34 Paragraph 3

The paragraph that begins: “If you can't find”, reviews the availability of fire making devices which are a bit “less conventional”.

Because this thread is using Dr. Dartnell's book as a starting point, I note the value of planning for provision of chemical combustion in an emergency on Earth today, as well as away from Earth in a myriad of possible locations.

I like the steel wool suggestion in particular, because it reminds me of the chemistry of thermite, which is based upon aluminum as the primary fuel element. Iron oxide is a common ingredient of thermite used for welding.

Reference #3 Chapter 4
Section: Disruptive Innovation
Pages 61-65

In this section, Mr. Bessen reviews several examples of growth of standard ways of performing useful tasks, leading to growth of major industries. In this section, Mr. Bessen points out the benefit of the QWERTY typewriter keyboard layout as a benefit to women, who were able to take over tasks previously reserved for men.

Mr. Bessen's summary includes:
Begin Quotation:
The emergence of a widely accepted standard was critical to the effectiveness of the labor market for typists.
End Quotation.

(th)
tahanson43206

Postby tahanson43206 » Sun May 13, 2018 11:50 pm

20180512 Update Knowledge Forum Knowledge Thread

It has been established that an applicant who receives Private Mail can reply via the Signature Line of the membership.
I would like to hear from anyone who would like to try the culture of self-directed knowledge accumulation I have tried to demonstrate.

Reference #1 Page 35 Paragraph 2

The paragraph that begins: “The issue is not...”, reviews the options a survivor might have for locations to start fires.

Because this thread is using Dr. Dartnell's book as a starting point, I note the value of planning for provision of chemical combustion for non-emergency reasons on Earth today, as well as away from Earth in a myriad of possible locations. At the same time, the need to AVOID chemical combustion in a space habitat is well established by experience in the MIR space station, and (as I recall) in the International Space Station.

Dr. Dartnell's comment about modern homes NOT having provision for an open fire certainly matches my experience in a good sized American city. On the other hand, it appears from news reports from around the world, that open fire making is still practiced in many places.

Reference #3 Chapter 4
Section: The Life Cycle of Technical Knowledge
Pages 65-67

In this section, Mr. Bessen concludes the chapter with consideration of delays that may occur in the process of standardization.

Mr. Bessen asserts:
Begin Quotation:
In general, then, widely accepted standards might take time to develop when the costs of learning associated with the standard are substantial.
End Quotation.

He concludes the chapter with this observation:
Begin Quotation:
But life cycle delays in standardization and the long cycle of sequential innovation also explain why workers' benefits from new technology are sometimes postponed for decades.
End Quotation.

(th)
tahanson43206

Postby tahanson43206 » Sun May 20, 2018 11:11 pm

20180519 This is a stub for a weekly update.
tahanson43206

Previous

Return to New members